Monkey Business - FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After deciding against buying a headbadge for my Hawthorne, i found a sticker that gave me an idea for a name and would also do the job. So with a new name for the bike, i thought i would get back into my build.

Here's a recap of what all I've done so far...

hawthorne.jpg

the hagard piece i came home with

1102091046.jpg

primed and smoothed

1109091926.jpg

paint and leather

1109091926a.jpg

deer skin leather lacing

DSC01539.jpg

catalina donor

DSC01567.jpg

No Monkey Business!!

hawthorne13.jpg

1st mock up

Re:Monkey Business

So for the past couple of days I've been tearing down parts, cleaning them up and painting them... Here's where I'm at so far.

DSC01552.jpg

hubs

DSC01553.jpg

rear

DSC01556.jpg

front

DSC01554.jpg

coaster

DSC01559.jpg

sprocket and coaster arm

DSC01565.jpg

assembled

DSC01562.jpg

Re: No Monkey Business!!

Cruisinmarine said:
duplicolor burnt copper?

yup! it dries in almost a flat finish with a alot (and i mean a lot) of metallic in it and once i clear coated the parts and then rubbed them out with rubbing compound and polishing compound and gave them a coat of wax.... it was insane. especially outside in the sunlight. but yeah the product is duplicolor metallics burnt copper

I gotta show you the one i just finished...burnt copper is insane in the sunlight. Frame, guard, and fenders are burnt copper, hopefully gonna have it stripped soon

Lovin' those hubs and REALLY diggin that chain ring! Can't wait to see this one.

I've been working on the wheels. I started by sanding the chrome until it did'nt shine any more. then i used etching primer, highbuild primer, duplicolor, and clear. i finished them off with rubbing compound, polishing compound and a coat of wax. I really hope these don't flake because i've only finished one and it kicked my butt.

DSC01550.jpg

DSC01551.jpg

DSC01620.jpg

DSC01621.jpg

I'm dazzeled with the shiny sparkling paint like a deer in the headlights. Very nice.

That paint job reminds me of this Broakland custom track bike, rippin' flesh from bone. Great work.

2893948228_c0536c3d51.jpg

Re:Monkey Business

Okay guys, I have some progress to show. I ended up going with a bent springer. I didn't want it to be all blinged out though so i did my best to match what i did on the frame. I also cut down some bars.

I started by giving them a red base coat and then brushing som black into the finish to kind of weather it a little.
hawthorne14.jpg

then i gave them 3 coats of duplicolor cream and brought the red out in a few areas with some 1500grit... cleared them up and buffed and waxed them. i really like the way the bike is coming along.
hawthorne15.jpg

I havent laced my copper wheels for this bike yet but i wanted to see what kind of stance it would have so i through some mtn bike wheels on for a quick pic. low and long
hawthorne16.jpg

oh yeah! and the bandanas are just to keep me from chippin the paint on the top tubes. im not keeping them on there... unless i go to a lowrider show...lol

Re: Monkey Business

well guys this thing is pretty close to being done. I ordered a pair of quick bricks. all i need now is new bearings for the front and rear hubs, bottom bracket and headset.

Re: Monkey Business

Well i have to admit i've definately ben slacking off on this bike. so i got back to work on it this weekend. Last week i ordered a headlight off of a women's 1982 schwinn varsity. when it got here the plan was to convert it to an LED with everything stuffed in the housing but when the housing proved to be too small i resorted to making a battery box. I used a felt covered ring box. stripped the felt and painted it, drilled a hole in the bottom and bolted it to the fork leg. I really like the way it turned out.

1004001351.jpg

1004001351a.jpg

1004001351b.jpg

1005000756.jpg

1005000756b.jpg

Back