MONGOOSE KOS KRUISER BUILD (6/06 - FINISHED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SOMETHING'S COMING

I was gonna guess something " goose". Havent' figured it out but I found the "Bamboo" portion on a 1983 Mongoose.

26" Mongoose----- Model? from 1983

Hey, wheres the *drool* smiley???

drrrrrrroooooollllllllllllllll

Yep, a 26" KOS. Man, I want one of those too. Where on Earth did you find that?

Well, let's just say I'm starting from scratch on this one. I posted an ad on my CL telling folks I was interested in finding KOS frame and fork. A guy from California emailed me about a week after and said he had a KOS F/F, but the fork had been powdercoated black. After trading a few emails and photos we sealed the deal and the parts arrived yesterday.

I found a place locally that will strip the fork and chrome it for $30. They only charge $75 to do a frame, but the original chrome is probably nice enough on the frame to not rechrome it. The photos make it look a little better than it actually is. There is some fogginess near the seat tube and a few scratches here and there. If they end up doing a really good job on the fork then I may consider having the frame done too.

If I want to go with a black and silver theme then I should have all the parts to build it up. I'd really rather use red anodized parts, but that may put me way over budget. My LBS has a set of early 80s Sumo blue shiny side 26x1.75 hoops and some blue high flanged hubs, but not sure if I like the shiny side look or not.

I'll be ordering a set of repop KOS decals from BMX Products Inc. that should really make the bike look cool.

Here are a few pics of the set up as I received it...

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

kos.jpg

Re: SOMETHING'S COMING (AND NOW IT'S HERE)

Budget we dont need no stinking budget, go red with some red gumwall snakebelly tires that is just to cool 8)

Ha Ha...well, if I shoot for the moon then there will be a 2008 Electra Sparker Special, a 1942 Westfield and possibly a 1953 Schwinn for sale soon. :wink:

cman said:
Nothing better than a Chrome Looptail. How about some gold anno? http://boise.craigslist.org/bik/1140093675.html

Whoa....you need to jump on that one....looks great for $100! :shock:

I'd love to go with red anodized parts, but I may end up using the Pro Class wheels off the Elgin to make the build Mongoose cool.

That is just awesome! :shock: :D

I always wanted a 26" cruiser BMX when I was a kid growing out of my Mongoose. Couldn't afford one then...maybe someday I'll get one. NIce score Steve.

Dan

Thanks Dan!

I have been wanting a 26" BMX for a while now too.

This is really the only way I could afford to own one was to piece it together little by little.

You'd be surprised what people have and are willing to part with if you just ask.

Back