Monark Firestone Speed Chief

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this Monark frame back in the fall from 48' Hawthorne and just got around to puttin it together for a ride we did. Not sure on the year, I've never looked into it. I put an aftermarket monark springer on it which was aggrevating to say the least. Some new chrome rims from Niagara Cycle and some clay red Tycoons. Nothin too exciting that hasn't been done before but its a cool addition to my stable and it rides great. Also, stole a crank and sprocket from a newer Schwinn. Just made a bracket coming off the steer tube for my VDO speedometer. I think I need to shorten it up an inch or so, kinda sticks out too far I think. Anyways, here she is. Hope ya like it!

Bikes5001.jpg

Bikes5002.jpg

Bikes5158.jpg

Bikes5159.jpg

Bikes5179.jpg

Bikes5187.jpg

Bikes5192.jpg

Bikes5193.jpg

Bikes5191.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I still plan on putting a tail light and a headlight on but I need to make custom brackets. It was a pretty brainless build but still gratifying in the end. Those Grand Tycoons ride like glass too.

Sweet ride! Could I ask you where you got the Repro Monark fork and what problems you had with it, I'm thinking about putting one on a Monark frame similar to yours, thanks!

okie said:
Sweet ride! Could I ask you where you got the Repro Monark fork and what problems you had with it, I'm thinking about putting one on a Monark frame similar to yours, thanks!

Thanks!I bought it from chain gang lowriders. I had a problem with the bottom bearing race not fitting tight because the fork isn't made with a raised area at the bottom of the steer tube to keep it tight. Also the wheels I used had 3/8 axles which wouldn't fit so I had to dremel those out to fit . Theres a guy on here fixing all the problems these forks are know for and selling them for I think $180. Good luck with your build.

HotRodRob said:
okie said:

Thanks!I bought it from chain gang lowriders. I had a problem with the bottom bearing race not fitting tight because the fork isn't made with a raised area at the bottom of the steer tube to keep it tight. Also the wheels I used had 3/8 axles which wouldn't fit so I had to dremel those out to fit . Theres a guy on here fixing all the problems these forks are know for and selling them for I think $180. Good luck with your build.

Cool, thanks for the info!

Back