Monark El Camino---finished 01/29

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mid 60's Monark El Camino, made by Huffy according to the serial number.....and another tanker. Here we go.......

pics from the CL ad....a bit rusty, the typical grease & grime but great for preserving things!
REDMONARK1.jpg

REDMONARK6.jpg

strippin' 'em down...
100_1773.jpg

after clean up & polish...and mocking up with the new saddle. Light housing is going, tank staying for battery power for lighting..surprisingly clean battery tray and working switch.
P1260020.jpg

P1260021.jpg

new tires on the left, and an alloy set of wheels on the right with a Nexus 7 and chrome triple trees.... getting ready for setting up frame and fork spacing
P1260022.jpg

first mock up with chrome triple tree fork.....I lost a head bearing for the new fork, somewhere in the bike barn....off to the LBS tomorrow!
P1260025.jpg

P1260026.jpg

oh.....the bike barn that ate my head bearing.....
P1260023.jpg

P1260024.jpg

Tank will go back on tomorrow after I get the forks set up and decide on bars and lighting, probably a bullet type converted to LED....and decide if I want to go suicide on the shifter....more to come.....

Re: Monark El Camino

Ah a garage full of bikes where you can't get to anything....I don't feel so bad. :lol: Nice build so far.

lookin good so far ! like where your goin with it . 8)

Thanks fellow ratrodders :lol:

Here's tonight's progress......
chain line good, used Sheldon Brown's frame spacing technique with a 2 x 4, Thank you Sheldon...gone but never forgotten! Crank & chainring cleaned up decently
P1270001.jpg

tank mounted, still fiddling with the triple trees....not sure how low I want to cut....or maybe leave some protruding through the top clamp for something different. And I'm gonna use a set of bars that most of us probably toss....no pic on that just yet.
P1270002.jpg

And the view that should make this one an easy rider....Nexus 7...love that hub.
P1270003.jpg

So, trees, bars, shifter set up to come.....

Those white tires really set off the red paint. The Nexus 7 speed should give you plenty to play with while you ride. :lol:

I had mocked it up with all red, then all blue, then just whitewalls....the all white does really pop.
I have a Nexus 7 & 3 on 2 other bikes, and they are great hubs, aren't they!

My dilemma is deciding where to cut the forks down to....flush with the top clamp( I know I have to leave at least an inch to attach the bar clamp to the steer tube) ...or should I leave some protruding out the top?

My thought process is driving me nuts....leave some to be able to change the rake a bit, or leave just a little bit( 1 inch on the outer tubes, 2 on the steer tube) for a different look, or again, flush on the outers and an inch or so on the steer tube.....

I'm open for any and all ideas!!!! I've got the time...working late tonight and all day Saturday...which sucks...

Okay, I know no one on this site understands this (LOL)...Got off work earlier than expected so I had to finish the El Camino....

forks cut
P1290004.jpg

fitted
P1290005.jpg

lining up the bars, which by the way, most of us probably toss these.....OCC Sting Ray flat bars....I'm guilty
P1290006.jpg

temporary shifter set up, wanna go suicide, just gotta figure out how I want to do it
P1290007.jpg

seat, bag & grips on, we can ride!!!!
P1290016.jpg

P1290017.jpg

P1290019.jpg

P1290020.jpg

P1290025.jpg

I think I'll ride to work in the morning!!!

Thank you all.....especially Uncle Stretch. I am envious of your skills building frames and always enjoy seeing your finished bikes.

GORGEOUS!........period!

very nice clean build. like the fork and bar setup i bet it is a comfy ride. and the white tires make it pop this is a great example of taking a bike and doing some bolt on parts and truly changing the look and feel of the bike. very well done i would rock it in a second!!!

Thank you all for your encouraging and satisfying compliments. I ca'nt weld, so I have to do bolt ons. I can't tell you how many times I'll put something on a bike and off it comes because it just doesn't flow. The triple tree set up works great once I found the right height and then got the bearings to be happy and adjusted. Same with the seat and bars. The white tires are Kenda's from my local LBS. On a final note due to popular vote and that I liked it better too, I put the original chain guard back on. And it will be getting some matching leather grips come pay day!

P1310008.jpg

On to the next project!

Wow, very cool - great job! 8)

2-23-2014 I am the new owner of your red monark el camino with white tires Do u still have the headlight or any other parts u took off ?

2-23-2014 Looking for a headlight for a monark el camino I am new to this site so i'm not sure if I am asking in the right place Any help would be great Thanks Also lookin to find a motorized kit rear sprocket that would fit Nexus 7 large dia hub

Back