Molested, no way back now!!(fun intended).

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to start this topic.
I am nowhere near starting this build, but I'm just anxious to prepare for this one, :lol:
I even haven't given much thought to the direction or style this build would need.
except from a hint/clue Graylock gave me(thanks).
The hubs and seat will go to this project;
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24807
I have something that looks like a nirve streetking fork for it.
and a mtb drivetrain/wheelset.

6rqbmc.jpg

Thank u, Graylock, Hsean, Deorman.

8) Badmuller :wink:

Re: Molested, no way back now!!(fun intended), the Night Flier.

Just could not wait, everytime I walked in the shed it was there.
Took it apart and threw on some stuff i had lying around.
Rear wheel is shot though kinda flexible whenever it moves, to many bad spokes in it and worn down rim, wil look for a good used one this afternoon.

2ex78lx.jpg

dewyok.jpg

was thinking what to do for front fork.
Had some bent and old mtb fork, a rearshock from an mtb, a rearrack from a kettler bike and some springer parts.
Thought; I might as wel throw(weld) it al together.
this is how it came out;
72d6w4.jpg

2zxv0o2.jpg

dfrly.jpg

I think it looks very nice, what do you think?

I wasn't to start with.
I just wanted to touch up some parts that where made, tooled or burnt from welding.
after a while i thought this might be a nice color combo;
but with less chrome or should I say, nickel plated, parts

spf6kl.jpg

When I'm done building the thing i will review and see if i still feel the same about it
(since it doesn't really look like an excelsior).

Ace said:
That's a nice combo 8) classic !

What kind of seat are you using ?

The seat that was on there a nice brooks.
On a modfied spring that i first had on my dailly.

fddnqh.jpg

I plan to remove the front part of the spring and mount it from the top tube with some kind of pivot.
The rear part of the springs will be attached to the modified rearrack/kickstandcombo.
On top of that i will mount the seat so there will be no seatpost.

sensor said:
looks great and love the springer :mrgreen:
just curious about the rack(seat?) on the rear....

the rack, seat was made from a rack/standcombo from these kind of bikes, a classic dutch icon, wich is still a sales hit at bikestores in the Netherlands;
5n87de.jpg

i liked the idea of the big stand(like on the excelsior bike, few posts back, and bought a new one (used ones are not working o.k. most of the time).
i've shortened it and mounted it in the right angle so it would still work.
I am gonne make the seat on there, actualy i'm off in e few minutes( i have to travel a few blocks to get to my garage/workshop), i gave the seat mounting design some thought and hope to get it done today, a pic will be posted then.

I started working on the bike very motivated.
Positioned the seat and took a distand look to see if it would work, and i noticed that the rear wheel was out of alignment for about 2 cm. :cry:
took a closer look and saw it was because i had adjusted the with of the chainstays to allow a bigger tire.
So nothing done on the seat, again :(
Before re-doing the chainstays i thought, might be usefull if i try to fit the wheel in with the fat frank on.
found out that i need to make more room for the fat frank.
cut the stays from the b.b.put the wheel in, aligned it, welded the stays back again, if you're thinking "that will never work"
You're dang right!.
still the wheel didn't end up in the middle, and the left crank hit the stay.
I am not experienced as a frame builder,and i dont have a jig(there isn't even room for one in my workshop).
But i hoped i would get lucky this time.

Funny thing is, when i just came home i wasn't dissapointed at all, i just have to rethink some ideas and plans, and how to aproach things.
However i took a pic of the bike with the fatfranks on guess that just has to make my day, and in a strange way it does.
tomorow is another day.

20zwqh3.jpg

(Yes the rear wheel is in the wrong way).

I kind a found out where I went wrong.
The frame was 27" to start with, when replacing the wheels for 26" with a 26X2.35 tire, well do the math and you know its not gonna fit, espesially in a narrow frame like this.
solution I came up with; I had a rear section of 28" fram laying arround that i was gonna use/save for another build.
But now I felt i could use it. Its not a thight fit but not much room to spare either, perfect.

210hjsy.jpg

I welded it in today.
Im sorry for Raleigh fans but it cant get more molested then it is right now.
no pic's of it just yet, maybe tomorrow.

Back