Modern kick back hub questions.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello. So I've got a new departure model d hub with skip tooth chain and sprockets on my bike. I would like to maybe upgrade to a new modern kick back hub but still retain my skip tooth. Does anyone know if any of the new ones attach the sprocket the same as a new departure hub? Or would I have to look for an old bendix?

Thanks.

the new sturmey kick backs take a Bendix snap ring type like all the 60's coaster hubs, I'm not sure whether they made em in skip tooth or not though.. :roll:

Someone recently posted a picture of a modern snap ring inch pitch cog that they purchased on ebay, it was quite nice looking. Others have used 1/2 inch pitch cogs with every other tooth removed, this sort of works. The tooth profile of A 1/2 inch and a 1 inch cog are different. The 1 inch tooth profile is based on a .6 inch distance not .5 inch.

Any sightings of the snap ring inch pitch cog? I have a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub that I want to use on my '41 Schwinn and I would like to keep the inch pitch front sprocket. I'd rather not use a 1/2 inch pitch cog with every other tooth removed because those cogs are thinner and I don't want the slop in the chain.

c.p.odom said:
Someone recently posted a picture of a modern snap ring inch pitch cog that they purchased on ebay, it was quite nice looking. Others have used 1/2 inch pitch cogs with every other tooth removed, this sort of works. The tooth profile of A 1/2 inch and a 1 inch cog are different. The 1 inch tooth profile is based on a .6 inch distance not .5 inch.

I remember that too, but cant find the thread now...

I followed the various links and just sent a request to the source to find out if he has any more in the works. The ad is for a cog for a Shimano hub, I have a Sturmey Archer so I asked the source about a cog that would fit the Sturmey hub. I'll post the response when I hear back.

GearheadJim said:
I followed the various links and just sent a request to the source to find out if he has any more in the works. The ad is for a cog for a Shimano hub, I have a Sturmey Archer so I asked the source about a cog that would fit the Sturmey hub. I'll post the response when I hear back.

The Sturmey-Archer cogs are interchangeable with Shimano, at least for coaster brake & internal gear hubs. Both use the same 3-tab style interface. I have a 17T S-A cog on a Shimano hub on one bike because Shimano doesn't make a 17T, and that's the size I needed for a variety of reasons.

No response from the ebay seller, looking for other options now. Thinking of taking a skip tooth cog to a machine shop to convert to the snap ring connection of the new hub.

expjawa said:
The Sturmey-Archer cogs are interchangeable with Shimano, at least for coaster brake & internal gear hubs. Both use the same 3-tab style interface. I have a 17T S-A cog on a Shimano hub on one bike because Shimano doesn't make a 17T, and that's the size I needed for a variety of reasons.

that is only half true, while the bendix ones will fit on a shimano , going the other way requires some filing...

Back