Midriff-ter MTB...My home from May 1 - Aug 1...pg 15 !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes bikes you've built talk to you after the build too. .My Skinny build from last Fall literally whimpered as I walked in to the BACK40 and prepared to saddle up Midriff-ter for the morning ride.

So "50, Skinny, and Single" it is.

View attachment 238017

Lawn got mowed first, and it was a good way to cool off after that task in our Summer heat.
I’m impressed those hand made fenders kept their shape!

The bike looks and rides like the day it was done! And that's after 9 months of sitting out in the extreme temp changes of the BACK40. The wood fenders and guard are holding up well.

Here's a refresher on that portion of the build:

Screenshot_20230701_061743_Chrome.jpg

The Zinsser Shellac really helped preserve the wood.

Matti, here is what the claimed weight for the Thudbuster LT is listed at for the 31.6 dia post. Mine is the 27.2, so a tad less material.

Screenshot_20230704_172137_Chrome.jpg

The thing that impressed me was that the Thudbuster with my semi-lightweight saddle came in at 960 gms. The Brooks on the Titec laid back rigid post weighed 980 gms! With almost zero suspension!

Update on the Wedding trike I built last year for our neighbor girl Michele's wedding. She just sent me a few photos that I had never seen before.

For those that weren't around during BO 17, I built this alongside my BO bike last year. It started as a basic adult trike that her disabled aunt had used previously. The bride's mother also assissted in the pillow making and design input.

received_728145865985506.jpeg

received_604375454859558.jpeg

received_1436969396843940.jpeg

The thing that impressed me was that the Thudbuster with my semi-lightweight saddle came in at 960 gms. The Brooks on the Titec laid back rigid post weighed 980 gms! With almost zero suspension!
I heard you say that it was lighter in the vid and had a hard time processing it! Those Titec posts have a reputation for being stout, but that's amazing.

I used to have one of those Thudbusters, but never got around to using it. Great design.
Love the pics of the wedding trike.

If I had to nitpick, I'd say that the blue gloves are distracting. Other than that, it's right where it belongs. Looks so fun

I agree on the gloves. Prob do without the water bottle and glasses too.

Funny how we all see things differently.

I was actually thinking how the gloves and glasses added an element of action that conveys how it is being used. I didn't even notice the water bottle which lets me know that it is in its proper place.

A good example of what I'm talking about is how new truck advertising usually shows a muddy truck on a farm or construction site with bales of hay or building materials in the back.

I was actually thinking how the gloves and glasses added an element of action that conveys how it is being used. I didn't even notice the water bottle which lets me know that it is in its proper place.
I was thinking about that as well, the gloves kind of invite the viewer into the image, to imagine themselves as the rider, if you get my "driff-t". However, they're the only spot of bright blue in the whole scene, and thus risk becoming a competing element with the bike. That's why I was more ok with the bottle and yellow lensed glasses. As I said, picking nits, either way will be a great picture.

*How am I more involved in this one picture than I was in the whole build of the bike? I guess it's because I knew it was in good hands with oddjob. If I had a modern bike, it would resemble this (other than the fauxtina, that's beyond me)

I was thinking about that as well, the gloves kind of invite the viewer into the image, to imagine themselves as the rider, if you get my "driff-t". However, they're the only spot of bright blue in the whole scene, and thus risk becoming a competing element with the bike. That's why I was more ok with the bottle and yellow lensed glasses. As I said, picking nits, either way will be a great picture.

*How am I more involved in this one picture than I was in the whole build of the bike? I guess it's because I knew it was in good hands with oddjob. If I had a modern bike, it would resemble this (other than the fauxtina, that's beyond me)
Agreed.
Had to do a quick edit to see it. I'm thinking the problem may be the placement as well. Off to the left would fix it.
Final-Photo-this-one.jpg

Funny how we all see things differently.

A good example of what I'm talking about is how new truck advertising usually shows a muddy truck on a farm or construction site with bales of hay or building materials in the back.
You make a strong point. And that's kind of why I propped them there in the first place.

It is definitely an 'action' orientated build!

Got in a long ride last night, and a short one this morning. The trails were too busy for any photo ops, as the local high school league MTB team was out for their first practice of the season. They train all summer, and do some of the MN MTB Series races, and then compete as a Fall sport for the MN High School League.

I didn't run over anybody, and made a stealthy exit before it got too hectic! They have a cool name, as they are a combined team of the three high schools in our district. PoWER - Park , Woodbury, and East Ridge high schools.

Since I added the suspension seatpost earlier this week, I have had to carry my phone, multi-tool, CO2 cartridge and trigger, and rag in a fanny pack. Not only did that make me look even OLDER and less 'with it'; it also is a little more uncomfortable and more sweaty.

So after a few attempts last night mid-ride at the bike shop, I settled on this interior frame mounted pack that sits right down in the frame, holds all my stuff, and is braced well between the two frame tubes and the water bottle cage. Very pleased with it.

Finished bag.jpg

And then took a few more photos to contend for the Final Photo in my forth coming Finished Thread.

1. Woodsy, shadowy

Final Photo 4.jpg

2. Bushy, prairie, more sunny.

Final Photo 2 PLUS.jpg

Thoughts anyone?

Back