mid-late 80's Schwinn Traveler bb?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if the driveside bottom bracket cup is removable on a mid-late 80's Traveler (the one with the red/silver paint job)?

...it was on my 88 World Sport but this shimano cup on the Traveler is giving me a heck of a fight. I know they were painted in on some older Raleighs and I wasn't sure if it was attached or just rusted in on this one.

tia!

BLUEMEANIE said:
Anyone know if the driveside bottom bracket cup is removable on a mid-late 80's Traveler (the one with the red/silver paint job)?

...it was on my 88 World Sport but this shimano cup on the Traveler is giving me a heck of a fight. I know they were painted in on some older Raleighs and I wasn't sure if it was attached or just rusted in on this one.

tia!

it'll come out, even if it puts up a fight. reverse thread of course. shops often have a big tool that clamps on to those little flats securely so real leverage can be applied.

they will come out lay the frame on its side spray the heck out of it with a wd40 type thing then flip it over do the same and let it soak then have at it. a little heat might be needed too just be careful.

I soaked it for two or three days and nothing sept a bruised wrist. Borrowed the campy bb tool last night from the shop I volunteer at and still nothing. Applied leverage via a 3' breaker ... boom. It spun right out. Nothin but rust. The bb shell is fine after a little cleaning tho.

Thanks again guys!

BLUEMEANIE said:
I soaked it for two or three days and nothing sept a bruised wrist. Borrowed the campy bb tool last night from the shop I volunteer at and still nothing. Applied leverage via a 3' breaker ... boom. It spun right out. Nothin but rust. The bb shell is fine after a little cleaning tho.

Thanks again guys!

leverage is our friend :D

Latest posts

Back