Metrication & USA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the UK our British weights and measures system is gradually being wiped out by EU laws. What is the situation over there is metrication gradually taking over, does society want it to, do you want it to?

When I was in grade school ( a really long time ago ) we were told that within 5 years we would be using the metric system exclusively. I am pushing 50 now and it still hasn't happened.
I think the new ISO standards require a standard system of dimensions. That may be be what is driving the change in the UK. We have numerous engineering/quality standards and businesses are not forced to comply with ISO.
My issue is that there is not one standard. On my old VWs it is all metric. When I work on them I know what tools to use. That is not the case for my newer vehicles, there seems to be a random mix of fasteners so it is kind of a PITA to figure out what wrench size to use.

I went to school in Italy and had to learn and use metric. I liked it after I got used to it. I worked in a machine shop for many years and had to use both SAE, metric, and British measure when cutting threads. Will the EU laws eliminate the use of BPT (British pipe thread) and Whitworth pipe thread in the UK? I doubt it. Old ways of doing things die hard. When you get on a scale in the UK, is your body weight measured in kilos or stones? :roll: The "New World Order" with one worldwide measuring system?? No thanks, I like the diversity. Gary

Do you mean plumbing pipes? I think that's all metric now, new scales have duel readings, at least it's not as bad as food packaging etc. where not even duel is allowed, it's against the law to mention the British weight. A few exceptions, beer is sold in pints and milk in a reuseable glass bottle is sold in pints, milk in plastic bottles is duel, usually '568ml/1 Pint' so we still get a proper pint there :)

Back