Men's Troll Cycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first major bike build. I plan on putting all I can into it. I've had this frame for nearly a year now, and this may be just the motivation I need to get started on it. I'll warn you that progress may be slow to start with as I am still working at settling in on what direction I want to take it and collecting the pieces needed to get it there.

I've tried about 4 times not to type a description of the idea I have in my head, but it's just not easy to put into words. I'm 6'-3" tall and hope to come up with something that is comfortable for me to ride, obvious that it is a custom build, while maintaining a vintage/classic/minimalistic presence. Please feel free to critique as you see fit.

0902091206.jpg

I've been told that this is a 1966 Western Flyer frame. If memory serves, it was a Murray built frame manufactured in Ohio.

I will be posting additional pictures as I go both of the build as it happens, and of components I collect for the build.

For additional Pictures, you can visit http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t125 ... ll%20Cycle

I have purchased a donor bike for parts which is to arrive today. I also purchased a seat on ebay which I am hoping to mount in a way where it flows with the lines of the frame. I will post pics as soon as I get these parts around. and hopefully his weekend I will get some shop time and some actual progress...

Here's the seat... I'll know more when it get's here...

Seat1.jpg

Donor bike has arrived... Luckily it was only $30... Very skinny wheels and fenders. Not much I'll be able to use from it for my build. The seat I pictured above arrived. Anxious to get home and look at how to incorporate into the frame.

So the search is on for wheels/tires/fenders... I have the bike mocked up now with parts from the tropical, but would like to get that back together so I can be riding again.

Nixing the seat shown earlier. Didn't fit the build or my butt all that well. I will be building my own seat. Probably cutting a form out of wood and then constructing a seat pad made of Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber (It's what I do)... Hoping to make some progress tonight at least getting some templates made for the seat construction. I'll post up some sketches as soon as I get it going. Picked up a Western Flyer Tank on eBay. Should be seeing that arrive soon.

Anyone with any useful info on stems? My fork measures just under 21mm inside. I was hoping to use a stem that drops forward, but they all seem to be too big to fit my fork. I may end up machining my own threadless adapter and fitting a larger stem to that.

Anyway, I have been in parts shopping/collecting mode and am ready to get going on this.

Very cool! I'm not sure I've seen anyone pull off that seat/fender style on a bicycle. Go for it! :mrgreen:

Re: Men's Troll Cycle (Seat Building)

After staring at the bike and trying to come up with something that would be comfortable and not sway from the curves of the frame came up with the design shown in my previous post which shows a seat that will allow me to sit back further from the pedals rather than high above the frame.

Templates were created by tracing frame curves for proper fitment.
2010-05-28121621.jpg

Pieces of 2" construction foam were glued together and cut and shaped to the form of the seat. This will serve as a model of the seat pan (1" foam rubber will be added to the top of the final seat pan for cushion.) and will be carefully filled and sanded to the exact shape of the seat pan. This form will then be used as a mold for the fiberglass seat pan. (I work in composites so it seamed only fitting.)
2010-05-28121735.jpg

From a direct side view, the seat will appear to be sitting on the frame as the curves will match exactly. Actually the entire seat will be a bit wider than the frame to allow up and down movement. This piece will replace the regular seat post and serve as a pivot for the seat. (I also do all of my work's 3D design and run our in-house machine shop... Perks of the Job)
2010-05-28121637.jpg

There will then be vertical supports down to the rear axle which will incorporate suspension for the seat.

More pictures to come as I get further along.

Latest posts

Back