Measure diameter of chainring to know how many teeth?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
On vacation I went to a bike shop (something I don't get to do around here) and asked them if they had a single speed chainring with 30-32 teeth. The bike mechanic grabbed a tape measure and went to the back where I couldn't see what he was doing.

He came back with a chainring and I bought it, I was very curious about what the tape measure was for, but didn't ask.

Is there a known diameter of chainring to number of teeth chart somewhere? I searched and came up with a bunch of people doing math, I don't wanna do math, I wanna just know, "Oh, a 32 tooth chainring is 5.25" " (I just made that up).

Anyone know of a chart so I can quit counting teeth? I'm starting to feel like a pediatric dentist.

Oh man, that is classic!!!!!

For our international RRBers, this process also works, but you just have to extend you tape measure to 10cm and lock it.

This is not an answer to your question, but having a marked length of chain in your tool kit is useful for getting a quick tooth count.

DSC00917.jpg

you can measure the circumfrence, since a 36t sprocket has a tooth every 1/2" it should be 36/2= 18"

18" diveded by 3.14 is the diameter ... so 18 /3.14 = 5.73 ... i would round up to 5- 3/4" diamter, should be a 36 tooth

I'm at work with no sprockets around, somebody check my math please :mrgreen:

roughly speaking if the above works

36 tooth / 5-3/4" D
39 tooth / 6-1/4" D
42 tooth / 6-5/8" D
44 tooth / 7 " D

looks like adding / subtracting 3 teeth are roughly adding/subtracting 1/2" of diameter.

so if 44t is 7"
41t should be roughly 6-1/2"
38t ... 6"

enough to eyeball it and have a good idea anyway :mrgreen:

That's fine for SWAGs, but CeeBee's method is still the most accurate one.

My bike buddies think I'm crazy but most of my sprockets hanging in the wall have the teeth number marked with a black sharpie on them. Plus I take more time to get a good riding radio and just not slap parts together and then try to figure out why the bike pedals hard. Those old ratios took some strong legs to pedal. Gary

This is my favorite idea yet. (not a big fan of all the maths)

Tater said:
This is not an answer to your question, but having a marked length of chain in your tool kit is useful for getting a quick tooth count.

DSC00917.jpg

Back