(MBBO4 Class 1) Super Slingshot

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We tackled the steering tube today. But first, I forgot to add a picture of the finished tab. I like it because we made it look like an original Super Stock tab. A pointless detail, but it's those little things that make these recreations special for me. I'll notice it, so...

Nice detailing on that tab. It won't bother you that your brazing looks way better than the original?..:D

Some awesome craftsmanship going into this build...:thumbsup:

The auto dimming helmet makes it easy to weld...well mig weld. This looks like some high end welding here. +yeah you'd want to practice on some scraps for a while.

Last edited:
Great work Crash, that tab looks as good if not better than the original, I love seeing guys get this detailed on their projects, wish we had a summer MBBO so my next project would be more detailed like this and some others.

As far as the auto dimming weld helmets like the other guys said they are the way to go, you can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight for about $40. But if you don't want to spend it a small trick if you Tig weld is to make sure your hands are resting against a surface where they wont move, put the tip right against the spot you want to weld, head bob the weld helmet down, again make sure your hands are resting against something so they don't move, raise the tip off the spot not losing your place then hit the pedal to start. A little practice and it will become second nature.

Wow great work you have some awesome tools , great vision & do some nice work . It's crazy how much thought & time go into these bikes . [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set up for the next step today. My friend's jig only went down to 100mm spacing, which is fine for modern bikes. But my old school Mark 80 hub needs 90mm spacing, so he had to make new spacers on his lathe. We set the fork in, made sure the spacing worked, and that's as far as it went due to other obligations.

nfCVig.jpg

5c1D5P.jpg

DtB5lF.jpg

UygBwl.jpg

The fork you see is a Huffy 'Slingshot' fork, which is made for the 20/16 configuration. So fork legs for a 16" front wheel won't work for me. We're going to chop the legs off this slingshot fork, measure out the length we need to accommodate the 22" front wheel I'm using (plus the fender), then chop those legs off the bike's original forks. Then we'll weld the donor legs onto the Slingshot fork, and voila! A 26/22 Huffy Super Slingshot!
That's why the steer tube was lengthened, to fit in the 26" frame instead of a 20" frame.

Stuffs gettin waaaaay too Technical , i miss the old days when you just used a Hammer to fix Everything
mm's and configurations & Lathes ....Sheeeeesh...:confused:

~Rafael~

The fork you see is a Huffy 'Slingshot' fork, which is made for the 20/16 configuration. So fork legs for a 16" front wheel won't work for me. We're going to chop the legs off this slingshot fork, measure out the length we need to accommodate the 22" front wheel I'm using (plus the fender), then chop those legs off the bike's original forks. Then we'll weld the donor legs onto the Slingshot fork, and voila! A 26/22 Huffy Super Slingshot!
That's why the steer tube was lengthened, to fit in the 26" frame instead of a 20" frame.
Ah! I get it now! Very cool, very technical!

Luke.

I love watching @CRASH builds. It's like getting a fly on the wall experience for this one man R&D department, working on these bikes, making them brand new & timeless.

Honestly, when I first joined rrb, i didnt get the appeal of these factory style one off builds, but now I see it's all one big "what if they did it better; like this..." experiment.
Really Love the brake tab.
Kudos man.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Oh I know it!!! Chain guard still hasn't even been started. I'm pretty annoyed about that. Going to go see him tomorrow afternoon (I called today) and put some pressure on him.

We should be able to play with the forks this weekend, then I can bring it home and start mocking it up.

Meanwhile... I got a job. It doesn't start till January, so that gives me time to build. :cool2:

Looking forward to seeing it done and especially since you found a job, congrats! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back