MBBO Class 2 - ALiEN FiRE - DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The atomic museum here in town has an area 51 exhibit. :) seem to recall some alien stickers there also.
I've seen some cool ALiEN stickers out there,
but I like this one because it looks like a license or permit.
Finding a Roadmaster head badge is next...

Carl.:android:

I noticed that the autozone here carries duplicolor paint and they got some paint that is for rims supposed to be scratch and chip resistant only have silver, black, and clear I was wanting to use duplicolor too and then try putting the chip resistant clear over whatever color I choose you might want to check it out try it somewhere that don't matter first

I noticed that the autozone here carries duplicolor paint and they got some paint that is for rims supposed to be scratch and chip resistant only have silver, black, and clear I was wanting to use duplicolor too and then try putting the chip resistant clear over whatever color I choose you might want to check it out try it somewhere that don't matter first
Dupli-Color is great paint. I've used it before. I have their Clear Effex to shoot still. It's a clear with glitter in it. We"ll see what happens, I'm thinking of just spraying it on the front third of the bike like a fade.

I'd use the chip resist on the chain stay...

Carl.:android:

Last edited:
Dupli -color makes a metalcast anodized color paint that I got and did a test piece of tubing and it looks very cool , its a silver base with a top coat of just about any color you want , chech this stuff out for your next bike

I was looking at that stuff when I picked up the pearl. They only had blue, purple, and an orange-gold... I wonder if it comes in black? My WBO bike is probably going to be BLACK.

Carl. :android:

Last edited:
Looking good Carl!

With the duplicolor did you have a wet sand before clear? Just curious.

I usually just wetsand the primer and then after the clear. Basecoat should be relatively thin. If I want to do more clear after the first batch dries I'll scuff it up with some 600 grit.

I've had good results with Duplicolor as well.

With the duplicolor did you have a wet sand before clear? Just curious.
Well I sprayed a pretty thick coat of primer so I hit it with 0000 steel wool.
Then I rubbed it down with paper towels and then dusted it off well.
Then I sprayed the Electron blue pearl. Now this has all been rattle can... I probably could've wet sanded it with 2000 before and after the blue, but I didn't. I just followed it up with the Dupli-Color Clear Effex. I'm going to try and get a sunlight picture because this stuff is amazing! The flecks of color are so fine, it's not like a glitter or even crushed glass, it's perfect. Changes color in the light, but allows all the blue pearl to shine too. I may yet hit it with a ton of clear with many coats wet sanded between. But I've already impressed myself with this stuff.

Looking good Carl!

I usually just wetsand the primer and then after the clear. Basecoat should be relatively thin. If I want to do more clear after the first batch dries I'll scuff it up with some 600 grit.

I've had good results with Duplicolor as well.
600 grit? After the first guitar I finished using 0000 steel wool and then 2000 grit on my clear coats I'll never go rougher than 1000. The finish comes out like glass. I follow it up with a good cutting polish like McGuires and the after it really hardens it gets waxed, maybe a few days later. The telecaster I did in 2012 still looks like hard polyurethane and it was all rattle can lacquer!
Before...

After...

Now for me 600 is like bare metal prep...
Although I do like green scruffy pads for that.

I like to lay the clear on real thick so it looks really wet. Hard to avoid sags and runs but that stuff will usually sand out fairly easily. The base/clear works really well with rattle cans. That's all I've used. I order it from automotivetouchup.com now as I
ve been using colors the stores don't normaly stock. It's really nice paint. Clear has a nice warm glow to it.

I'm no expert on paint but it seems to me you would never want to sand the color with no clear on it. Would be way too easy to go through it.

Now for me 600 is like bare metal prep...
Although I do like green scruffy pads for that.

Wow those are some sweet Tele's!! I only use 600 on the clear if it's dry and I want to put more clear on. Usually this is to smooth out decals. For the final finish I use 1200-2000 grit and then Meguiars #3 glaze.

I sand the primer with 600 grit too. The 600 is just to give a key for more paint.

Back