(MBBO 4 - Class 1) Corvette Stingray, big boys need Muscle Bikes too..........DeLuxe......Back In!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I went ahead and threw the Springer fork on it so I can do some more mock up. My first thought is to use a 20" front tire (actually, I would like to use a 22" but there aren't enough options in that rim size) I will have to build some rather large extension plates for the bottom of the forks in order to get another 3-4 inches of length on the Springer. So, I made a couple of cardboard cutouts to try.
The first one is an angular design
IMG_15001.JPG

The second design is curvy
IMG_14981.JPG

Right now, I'm not really feeling either design. I am really wanting this bike to look like something that Schwinn might have built back in the day. I may go with a 24" front tire, then the extensoins could be smaller. Still debating.................

I have to agree with you,I don't really like either of them myself.
But if the first pic design was a little smaller it might look alright.

I have to agree with you,I don't really like either of them myself.
But if the first pic design was a little smaller it might look alright.
Yeah, if I go with the 24" they would only need to be about half that size.

The curve seems to fit the build on the second one, depends on what happens along the way with other design additions. A 26" rear with a 24" fork should give you that "big boy" muscle look no problem!

The suspension felt very soft, like it was built for a 90 lb. kid, not for a 260 lb. Ape! And it had some bad sticking points in the action. So, I tore it all down and found some puny little springs inside the upper tubes.

IMG_15031.JPG

I knew that I still had some chrome moly valve springs and retainers in the shop. So, I located some longer bolts, removed the inner springs, installed the valve springs after removing the inner coils from them , greased it all up and assembled. Looks cool and Muscular now! And, operates smoothly.

IMG_1501.JPG

The new springs and the longer bolts actually extended the sissy bar making it 1 1/4" taller. It is now 44 3/4" overall. I think that the extra height will help things line up on the 26" frame also.

IMG_15021.JPG

These holes in the cross brace look like the perfect attachment point for the upper braces for the wheelie bar!! If I use shoulder bolts when attaching the upper braces to the wheelie bar, the assembly should hinge and allow the springer sissy bar to operate properly.

IMG_15041.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I am stoked about how the sissy bar came out. I guess that the fork extensions and shifter selection are my biggest hurdles now.

Nice work on the suspension upgrade! Those springs look really beefy! Anxious to see this one progress....

love that sissy bar!

Well in 1959, a Corvette was a manly car. So this bike should have a manly bar!!

Back