Maybe not a big deal to you.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So yesterday I am out in the garage working on my Firestone and I was looking at the take off wheels. The bike had a really nice Bendix red band hub, but the rims are not salvageable....so I decided to try my hand at tearing a wheel apart and rebuilding a hub. Granted it was only a single speed, but it was my first attempt. Now, I am not a mechanical "dummy". I mean I put together my touring bike last year from new and used parts and then rode it across Missouri fully loaded with food, clothes and camping gear....Anyway, I took the wheel apart and broke the hub open. Looked up a schematic online, read a couple articles and an hour later I had a butter smooth rear hub....so then I went back and did the front. At this point, I am full of confidence and decided to lace up the front hub to the old rim. Turned to trusty YouTube, watched a video and then I built the wheel and trued it up perfectly. Not a bad way to start the new years....learned to take hubs apart, build a wheel and true a wheel. 8)

hub4.jpg

hub1.jpg

hub3.jpg

hub2.jpg

Awesome! I'm gonna try that one of these days. I am lucky though, I have a friend fairly close by that is a hub guru & can straighten out my screw ups!

Very Cool. Welcome the the wonderful world of grease stains and dirty fingernails. 8)

Always use "waterproof" or Marine grade grease, or when it gets moisture into the hub it turns to :roll: .

I always use Castrol silicone stuff now. I only want to do it once. :mrgreen:

Awesome! The first hub rebuild always feels good. Great skill to have too. And lacing wheels is great too. Now try a twist lace like this: It's pretty easy, just get spokes that are about 10mm longer then lace wheel as normal, then take spokes that cross each other and twist them and put them in the other's space.

P8050064.jpg

Congrats! I love getting into the mechanical workings and bringing them back to life!

pick said:
Awesome! I'm gonna try that one of these days. I am lucky though, I have a friend fairly close by that is a hub guru & can straighten out my screw ups!

Hey I need a good hub guy. Who do you use? ;)

Bendix RB2. One of the best single speed hubs ever made...in my humble opinion. Good job rebuilding it. :wink: Gary

Back