May be worming our way into a into a show -WE GOT IN!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
5/21 UPDATE:

Well, it turns out the guys running the Collingswood Cruise-In are also tied in with this show. Even tho my dad's next door neighbor blew me off, the Collingswood guy said "we're in". :mrgreen:

Better yet, the Collingswood guy said there's an even bigger show in Merchantville NJ (near Cherry Hill) with like 5 bands playing on July 10 that we can participate in. He said there'd be alot more trophies for this one BigCam will post more on this one later.

With regards to show classes n' such, he siad it would be worked out later.

All we need to know is BRING YOUR BIKES and we'll worry about the rest.

Here's the skinny on the June 26th gig;

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Classic Car Show to Benefit Samaritan Hospice Veteran Care
The third annual Veterans Car and Bike Show benefiting Samaritan Hospice will take place on Saturday, June 26 (rain date June 27), at 9 a.m. at Cherry Hill High School West, 2101 Chapel Ave West.

The professionally judged show runs from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. with judging at 12:00. The award presentation beginning at 1:00 will include three 6'6" Best of Show trophies - one for stock class autos and trucks, one for modified class autos and trucks and one for motorcycles. Sixty additional trophies will be awarded and also during the ceremony, Camden County Veterans Service Officer Colonel Bancroft will honor living and deceased local veterans. There is a $15 registration fee and the event includes music and food. Proceeds will benefit Samaritan Veterans' Hospice Services.

Samaritan Hospice cares for patients and families coping with a life-limiting illness. The experience of military service - particularly during traumatic combat assignments - can affect veterans physically, socially and emotionally throughout their lives, and especially at the end of life. Samaritan Veterans' Hospice Services provide specialized care and education for veterans and their families. Samaritan also offers a Veterans Visiting Veterans program, where veteran patients can be visited by veteran volunteers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So this guy (my parent's neighbor) puts on this car show every year, and last summer i went and it was pretty good, maybe a couple hundred cars and some motorcycles. i asked him after the show if next year (now) he'd consider putting in a bicycles category. he said sure.

Fast forward to present. i called him today to remind him of the conversation. He's gonna visit my parent tomorrow night and said to talk to him then about the show.

here's what i'm thinking of pitching:

3 categories

- restored vintage (pre 1960)
- muscle bike (aka Sting-ray,etc.)
- Kustom ( our stuff) :mrgreen:

1st prize trophy in each category.

Simple and sweet. I'd even pay for the trophies if he hesitates.

Sound good?

Spin

Re: May be worming our way into a into a show need quick advice!

Me too! 8)

"....AT THE BIKE-O-RAMA SHOW WE HAD SUADE''RAT ROD''-FULL CUSTOM-MILD CUSTOM-TRIKE-RESTORED AND UNRESTORED...."

well of course you did! :roll:

We all know that everything cool and kustom emanates from Cali. :mrgreen:

Us lower level Jerseyans can't afford such exotic categories. Heck some of these guys think suede is a type of leather jacket! :D

One day we'll make you Cali boys proud. One step atta time.

Spin

Worst case, if we can't get a category, we should all show up and cause a RUCKUS!! 8) 8)

Truth be told, I can't remember if the motorcycles had a category last year. If they did, I can't see why we wouldn't get one.

In any event, we'll see how tomorrow night goes. Before i talk with him, I'll have my Pop seduce him with our home made vino!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Spin

"..so where is this supposed to be at? Is this in Jersey or in Pa? And who's gotta truck to come get my trike there?..."

Sorry. :( It would help if I told you where the joint is.

My ol' HS alama mater, Cherry Hill HS West on Chapel Aneue in Cherry hill NJ.

Spin

Here it tis:

Samaritan Hospice Veterans Car Truck Bike Show
Registered members: Login and edit your event listing

Event Dates: June 26, 2010 - June 26, 2010

Samaritan Hospice will be holding our 3rd annual car, truck & bike show on Saturday June 26, 2010 from 9am till 2pm. 2101 Chapel ave in Cherry Hill NJ. This years show will have even more trophies then last year & yes we will have the three 6'6 best of show trophies also. $15.00 per car for a great cause "helping our vets" This event will be professionally judged. 100% of all proceeds will benefit our veterans!
Food, Entertainment and much more... erltonnorth.com

go around to all the bicycle shops in the area with flyers saying that there will be bicycle classes at this show. also go on the area craigslists and post in the bicycle for sale section about the show. you have to get the word out that is the biggest thing and once it starts traveling around it sorta rolls by its self. greg is right you should do a rat rod class it was just that at bike o rama the judges called it suede which made me smile that they respected what we built. pshhhh you guys build cool stuff too it is just out here we just do what we do. and hey if you are not judging i know a bike that would have a good chance :mrgreen:

Well ya got one thing goin' for ya already . . . "BIKE" is in the name of the show. If they don't let ya in, you can get them for false advertising! :lol:
Maybe you can tell them how much all the kids love to check-out the bikes at shows. I know mine do! :wink:
All the best to you on the show Spinman and keep us posted on what happens!

very cool idea! hope everything works out for you guys! 8) wish something like that would happen here once in a while. you could throw in a peoples choice award even! :wink:

At our bike fest we do 2 categories Classic and Custom. Classic includes restored and original. I keep it simple because it's a "People's Choice" award and don't want to make it too complicated with a bunch of classes. If it was a judged event I would probably have more classes.

just a suggestion, but since its your first year, i'd have one catagory (custom) meaning no off the shelf bikes.(restorations being regarded as customs)

i visited a car show this past summer. it was the first year they allowed and judged volkswagens.

because it was the first year, entries where minimal. they had 10 bugs, a thing a square back and a couple of customs.

vw things had there own category and only one showed up. it obviously took first place. problem was every other vw there was a 1000x better than the beat up old thing with no competition.

pissed a few people off, but even worse made the entire vw judging seem very micky mouse at best.

for your first year i'd go with one catagory, custom bikes. you could still have multiple trophies.
best of show (take into consideration the overall presentation of the bike and surrounding area) first place, runner up, honourable mention etc etc.

once you get the numbers, then start dividing the catagories. it will definatly make the competition a little more competitive. :)

good luck!

Well,

let's keeps our rat tails crossed. :lol:

I spoke with the show coordinator and he seemed interested. He wanted to see some pics of what i was talking about so i sent him this email with an example of each class of bike.

He's got a board meeting with the show organizers tomorrow night, so at least he'll have our proposal in hand tp pitch it.

Spin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John,

good talking to you.

I'm part of an online bike club that builds custom
bikes (ratrodbikes.com).

We'd love to be part of your upcoming show.

Here's my idea.

We have 3 classes of bikes: see pictures for an example of each class

Category One - Vintage (pre 1960) restored or unrestored

Categroy Two - Muscle (Schwinn Sting-rays, Krates, Huffy Eliminators, etc)

Category Three - Rat Rod (modified and custom)

We could have a trophy for the best in each class and then maybe a "best in
show" overall.

We'd be happy to provide the 4 trophies if that's a problem.

Again, check out the pics.

I think we'd be a great addition to your show!!

Let me know either way.

Thanks

Mike

Let me know if you need any help, Spin. Cherry Hill is right in my backyard.

No matter what, do a People's Choice type award. It helps to get attention and makes everyone feel that they have a right to ask questions about the bikes and builders. It WILL help to spark more interest from the people attending and the show promoters won't be able to say no for the next show.

No matter where we set up for shows or charities, we always have a People Choice award and we've always gotten great feedback from everyone invloved. As far as trophies go, make them yourself using old bike parts, kids toys, old tools, etc. Need more ideas, check out the RatRod guys at the shows or talk to the true hotrod clubs.

Good luck and have fun,
Chainsaw

Well, he told my Dad he's gonna be hard pressed to push the idea based upon the amount of available room in the parking lot. He said he's already had to add a truck category, which is sucking up space. I can't see bikes taking up too much room, even if say, 30 bikes showed up.

We'll see what he comes back with.

Worst case, let's all just meet up there and hang out for the day.

Spin

Back