Matching tire models and colors in different sizes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never realized how frustrating it would be to try to find tires that are basically the same model - same tread and color - in different sizes.

I'm thinking of doing a bike with a 26x2.0 or 26x2.25 rear tire, and a 700c front wheel with maybe 1 3/8 tire? I've got the 26 inch rim being built - I can use any front rim within reason.

Not a drastic difference - just a little taller but skinnier front wheel.

I'd like to use a brown or cream colored tire front and back. I can be flexible on the front wheel if it makes it easier to match the tires nicely. (Could even go same size if I have to, but I'd like to vary it some.)

Does anyone have a combo that they've used with great satisfaction?

The continental retro ride comes to mind. Available in 26 and 700c, cream and brown.

But I think the narrowest it comes in 700c is 50. The 26 comes in a 2.2. The difference in width wouldn't be dramatic, about a quarter inch.

Might have better luck with something like a thick slick. They come in a bunch of sizes 26 and 700c (in black). I know they come in white, but I'm not sure the availability of sizes for the white ones.

Just bought a 700c x 38 Impac Crosspac tonight on eBay to match the 26 x 2.0 Crosspac I'm using on my PorkChop build for WBO. $18 and change with free shipping coming from England.

I also have 26 x 2 and 700c x 25 Thickslick tires. Have really only rode any great distance on the 700c's with one of my roadies. They're really great tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never realized how frustrating it would be to try to find tires that are basically the same model - same tread and color - in different sizes.

I'm thinking of doing a bike with a 26x2.0 or 26x2.25 rear tire, and a 700c front wheel with maybe 1 3/8 tire? I've got the 26 inch rim being built - I can use any front rim within reason.

Not a drastic difference - just a little taller but skinnier front wheel.

I'd like to use a brown or cream colored tire front and back. I can be flexible on the front wheel if it makes it easier to match the tires nicely. (Could even go same size if I have to, but I'd like to vary it some.)

Does anyone have a combo that they've used with great satisfaction?

Don't muss up your nomenclature here... 1 3/8" is a poor way of describing a 700c tire. :D For the 700c you want, what, something in the 35 to 40mm range? IF that's the case, and you want cream or brown, might i suggest a 55x559 (26x2.125) rear Schwalbe Big Ben (https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/big_ben), and a matching Schwalbe Little Big Ben in 40x622 (700x40c) (https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/little_big_ben).... both tires have the same tread, and are available in either cream or brown colours. Not all that pricey, and they're pretty flat-resistant, too.

I'd also mention Schwalbe. In some cases you might have to search to find the same color and tread in a different size, but you should be able to. There's a number that goes along with the model name, that number is for the tread pattern, which might help to know. In theory, you could get different models in the same color and, as long as you match the tread number, they should be the same, size and writing on the tire aside.

Back