Mash Banger "Last Act"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: English Cantilever

Just flying by the seat of my pants and dealing with what ever comes up. It's must not have been that important or I would have checked first. The fact that it is a very unique frame from England and imput from you guys is what makes it cool with or without Thick Bricks. I also have to keep reminding myself No Frame Mods for big tires. And how can I push the envelope without crashing the bloody rules. Thanks for everyones kind comments. Oh yeah... GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

Started building the tank today. I took a lot of photos so others can see how this was done. I did all the cutting with a Plasma Cutter but you could easily do the cutting with a metal cut off wheel in an angle grinder. I started off with an old Yamaha dirt bike gas tank from the seventies.
TankJob004.jpg
TankJob005.jpg
TankJob006.jpg
This is the stock tank uncut.
TankJob009.jpg
I used some old bell wire and marked it with a black marker to get a true line to follow.
TankJob010.jpg
TankJob011.jpg
This is the first cut with the Plasma Cutter. I use a 220V Hypertherm.
TankJob007.jpg
TankJob008.jpg
All you need is 220 and an air supply to run this unit. I have cut 1/8 inch steel with ease. The Motor Guard air dryer is criticle to keep all moisture out of the system. I really like this Hypertherm unit better than Miller and Lincoln models in this price range.
TankJob012.jpg
Cut out the filler neck.
TankJob013.jpg
Flipped the tank and cut the bottom.
TankJob014.jpg
TankJob015.jpg
At this point you should have two equal halfs.
TankJob016.jpg
TankJob017.jpg
The wire line again to mark off the cut line and section the tank halfs.
TankJob018.jpg
TankJob019.jpg
The section cut on the right half.
TankJob020.jpg
At his point I need to cut out any obstructions.
TankJob021.jpg
TankJob023.jpg
As the tank sits in the frame I make the needed marks and then make small cuts one at a time until the tank fits how I want.
TankJob022.jpg
I think it looks pretty good.
TankJob027.jpg
Now I did the other half to match.
TankJob026.jpg
TankJob025.jpg
TankJob024.jpg
Pretty good fit. Next is the detail and finish work. Then design the mounting tabs. I found three hubs in my pile-o-bikes. I may want to use one of these hubs. Drum brake for the front and maybe the three speed for the rear. Check out the rear disc setup.
TankJob028.jpg
Atom drum brake.
TankJob030.jpg
SA three speed with a coaster brake.
TankJob029.jpg
And this cool vintage disc and caliper.

COOL :shock: I love it :mrgreen: How long did that take you :?:

Great tank idea. I've been waiting to see someone do this. I need more tools. One of my favorite builds. Keep it up. PEACE

how a tribute to the IOM TT races? that is a sweet frame.

Dang, what a cool idea. Coming along nicely, too! 8)

whoa! how did i miss this one?
looks great!

Hi all, Answer to the question, how long did it take to split and section the tank. So far 3 to 4 hours. The detail is where the hours start to rack up. Thanks for all the props. from you guys. It makes a fella feel warm and fuzzy.

I was thinking about some of the guys just starting into this bicycle building art and thought I would do some simple mods that others could work into their own style and use common bicycle, motorcycle and auto parts. I don't remember seeing many twin fork setups so here's another one of my ideas I'll try to use for this build.
TwinFork007.jpg
The pictures are mysterious, dark, cluttered and fuzzy in their quality adding to the strange way this Brit Born Frankenstein is coming together. It's really more acceptable that my photo skills suck today.
TwinFork001.jpg
TwinFork006.jpg
TwinFork005.jpg
TwinFork004.jpg
TwinFork003.jpg
TwinFork002.jpg
TwinFork008.jpg
Tried to get some good shots of the triple crowns on both the forks. The leading one is a DP Harris product and has the fork crown brased. Very cool indeed. The black fork has a chrome cap to dress up the open fork tubes and is from a later model Huffy, Murray, or?

Latest posts

Back