March 1989

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Here's a story for all of us po folk that couldn't afford those hot bikes called "freestyle" bikes. As the freestyle movement was peeking in the late 80's, I found myself the last guy on the block to have a cool new bike. But I had an old canti frame and a big want-to. Stripped it down, had my cool older cousin spray it with a real paint gun (a professional paint job to me). I remember wearing my fingers out using steel wool on a rusty pair of rims with a freewheel on the back rim, ya know, that way you needed a cool hand brake. Bought all the other parts where ever I could find them. We had a Duckwall Alco and a White's Auto in our town that stocked a lot of bike parts, and white was the color of the day.
So here I am, high top Reeboks and all, thinking I was some awesome Freestyler.

001.jpg

002.jpg

I rode this bike all over from then until I got my liscense.

Anybody know what this frame was orginially with the big flange drop-outs?

I dont remember anybody saying any thing bad about it not being the real thing. The bike is pretty light so most of my friends wanted to ride it, jump it, wheelie it.

Some of the early bmx bikes were canti frames. Scramblers at least, and I'm sure there were a few more. But early scramblers weren't too light, so you had them beat kind of. I like the color. That's me second favorite color for any bmx

Those are some of the best self shot pictures posted here. The best thing....You still have the bike. Can we see recreations of those pics?

cman said:
Those are some of the best self shot pictures posted here. The best thing....You still have the bike. Can we see recreations of those pics?
I will see what I can do about that....
Thanks for the comments, guys.

So its a Huffy! Thanks Custom.
I remember that I thought it was cool when I mounted the brake caliper on the hidden side. Can't remember the fork switch or where I got the sprocket...
Thanks guys!!

Back