Man or Woman Flightliner tank ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for such a newbie question, but how can you tell the difference between the two when off the frame. For that matter on the frame they both look the same to me. I ask because I bought a frame and really would like to put a tank on it, but looking at them on internet sales I have not notice a difference, what clues do I need to look for ?

I think the difference is in the angle of the headlight portion. The women's curves downward while the men's would be straight in line with the frame.

Look closely at the bezels, you will see the difference.
2011-10-06-095446-1395.jpg

img_2553.jpg

Ok, to be honest I had notice that, but always thought it was due to model change. I love the early Tank, believe I read somewhere it was only used the one year...if memory is correct 1958 ? Not my bike, but the tank I like most on the Flightliner, go figure I have not found one for sale and bet if I do it will go for a good amount....

Attachments

• 1958-JC-Higgins-Flightliner-original-06-1024x768.jpg
    1958-JC-Higgins-Flightliner-original-06-1024x768.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 260
I think the pic you posted above is a regular Flightliner tank that is missing the light bezel

I looked up more pix of that bike (HERE) and it has me guessing about the headlight bezel. I believe that it actually is a one year model like the ad claims. That's the only one I've ever seen like that. It does look cool though!
1958-JC-Higgins-Flightliner-original-04-1024x768.jpg

Here's an ad that I found also.
jchiggins_cat.jpg

Last edited:
Learned something new. That's pretty cool.

So this is the tank without the bezel, you guys made my day ! Don't laugh, but I like the look with out it on and not like I plan on a restore job...

Attachments

• frjchigfltlin1.jpg
    frjchigfltlin1.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 219
Oh no....post a reply only to see you guys had post with out me knowing... Guess I will keep my search going, knew I read that online but being new to the cruiser bikes I bow to you guys, plus you guys have built bikes I base my build thoughts on !

Last edited:
Thanks for above comments and help, but the wait is over...well part over. To my surprise a 58 model tank shown up on ebay and I bought it. I was only bidder so got it for 9.99 not counting shipping which is low. Guess they did not realize they had a rare tank only used on the first year of the Flightliner. Catch is, I need the light assembly to finish off the tank....wonder if I will still be alive when one shows. If anybody runs into one, PLEASE give me a yell !

Back