Making a frame+ parts rusty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats a faster way to make this happen? after seeing some neat inseration I wanna make a rusty ratrod but old cruiser frames here arnt as common as in the US so I have to force this monark frame I have to rust. Wonder if they have rust effect Spray paint lol. any ideas would be awesome

I've yet to do this but have heard to put salt water in a spray bottle, spray the frame down and leave it outside a few days.

Where I live, rock salt destroys cars. If say crush up some and desolve some in a spray bottle with water. After a week or two of doing that two or the times a day you should see some results. Keep the bike in the sun. The evaporation of the water actual speeds up the process.

There's a post in the How To Index that has the solution (look in the paint section of the how to index). Dissolve copper (use speaker wire) in Muriatic acid (for swimming pools). I used this on my '41 Schwinn which I had stripped to bare, shiney metal. After rusting I painted with a matte clear. Here's the results:
DSCN2475.jpg

I shall look into these options. I know making a frame bare steel rusts very fast in the rain. I may do that actualy. im not in a hurry to build that one so I can let it rust and it could be next years build off maybe

Back