Making a 26"er easier for a short woman to ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is a shortie being at a towering height of 5'2" and shes been riding a 26" ladies Monark Rocket but its almost to big for her. We've looked at possibly gettting her a 24"er of some sort but I know that it'll be harder for her to keep pace with me with her riding a smaller frame and tired bike. I wondered about just swapping to 24" wheel/tire but didn't know if it would make the bike look really goofy doing that. From what I've read the frames on 24s are also smaller and shorter seat post. I wondered if any of you guys modded them with longer cranks or cut the seat post down a little or anything of that matter to make it easier for the short ladys or gents to ride.

get a tandem :mrgreen: then she'll keep up with you.

If its a matter of height, you could shorten the seat post but at that height she might be on the edge of needing a 24, in which case you could play with the gearing or put a multispeed hub on it.

This may not be the answer you're looking for but it may be the cheapest and easiest to do...buy her a Huffy Cranbrook. They have smaller frames than the older balloon frames and they fit my daughter very well, and she's 5'2". I dropped the seat all the way down (had to remove the reflector) and it's very easy for her to ride. Just something to think about. :wink:

Jim, my wife is 5'0 I bought her a new 26" beach cruiser from Dicks sporting goods. It's very low slung she has no problem getting on or keeping up. If your interested in a new bike.
Kenny
img_2258.jpg

kensmurray said:
Jim, my wife is 5'0 I bought her a new 26" beach cruiser from Dicks sporting goods. It's very low slung she has no problem getting on or keeping up. If your interested in a new bike.
Kenny
img_2258.jpg

Kenny what brand of bike is it exactly? I've thought that may end up being the best route to go(buying a new one)

Jim it's a Mongoose, it's right nice for a low end bike. We just upgraded the seat and peddles. The salesman told us they have cheap tubes, but we haven't had any problems, if we do I'll put some nice tubes in it. Here is a link to it http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... 39&ppp=139

My wife is also short and is intimidated by big wheel bikes. When I found a Dahon Classic for her she liked it. Once I re-did it for her she LOVED it.

beforeafter.jpg

you can get her a lucky 7 post and flip it forward and drop the seat all the way down and swap the stem for one that drops and has a shorter reach if you havent done those things yet.....my wifes opposite....shes 5'6" and has her bar and seat to the stars(i mean im 6' and my stuff isnt even as high as hers!)

kingfish254 said:
My wife is also short and is intimidated by big wheel bikes. When I found a Dahon Classic for her she liked it. Once I re-did it for her she LOVED it.

beforeafter.jpg

another smallish bike. i don't know how hard they are to find though. huffy venice

Picture100.jpg

i was actually about to suggest something like a foot forward electra, but kingfish's suggestion reminded me of this. i've only seen a couple, but neither was very much.

Three speed Raleigh Twentys are awesome smaller bikes for adults.

I'd try to keep her on the classic. Try different settings on the seat to get it forward and lower. Like mentioned above, turn the seat post forward, that will get it lower and closer to the pedals. Maybe the collar that goes on the seat post can be flipped, letting the seat post ride above the seat bolt. That depends if there's enough clearance to the seat pan.

Back