Make your own tank?...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of y'all ever attempt it. I mean build a real tank, not just a plate or a block of wood... not that there is anything wrong with that. Its also very cool.

Teaser shots of the beginnings of my first attempt. Part of the long painful process of downloading the image in my head, of a luxury cruiser, into reality.

IMG_1405.jpg

Note the protective tape is still on the aluminum sheet metal.

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

P.S. if anyone has experience hand bucking solid aluminum rivets, please PM me... "Bwahahaha!"

L.S.M.F.S.T.

Tank update. My idea was to make a horn tank, that had an air craft look. Basically riveted aluminum...

Had to find the right size rivets. The one on the left is the right size....
IMG_1463.jpg

Made a template for the center section
IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

Cut out center section and bent it up using wood and clamps as a home spun metal break
IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

Started bucking the rivets into place
IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

Partially finished and test fit
IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

Need to cut bottom section, fabricate attachment brackets, tap and massage to make panels fit flush and brush and polish. But the hard part is done.

Now that is beginning to look very cool and making me want to give it a try. Lots of ideas start to float in my head like a WWII bomber inspired build. Very cool and great job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Preview of polished look...

Before:
IMG_1490.jpg

After (330 grit to remove deep scratches, 400 grit, 1000 grit wet sand paper then aluminum polish)
IMG_1492.jpg

axsepul said:
Nice work man! What kind of frame is that?

Western Flyer x-53 I got it for free. But it was missing all the cool stuff: tank, light, front fender, rear rack, etc. So, I'm making it my own... more to come.

Back