Major changes to Felt cruiser lineup

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this info has gotten around yet but it looks like felt is making big changes to the 2013 cruiser lineup. Some of the classics that will now look totally different are the El Guapo, The 1903 and the MP. It looks like the plan is to switch all these bikes to the new "Deep Six" style frame and the 1903 now becomes the "1909". My LBS was able to preview the lineup and they posted about it on their blog. Here is the blog post with a small image of some of the bikes (in concept drawing form): http://www.suburbanbikes.com/blogs/news/6338644-2013-felt-bike-line-up-looks-exciting

They are also planning a 29" cruiser that has a cantilever frame with more angular lines: http://www.suburbanbikes.com/blogs/news/6343634-felts-new-29-cruiser-series

Now I can't help editorializing on this a bit. On the MP in particular, I don't like look of the new frame. Is it a nice looking bike? Yes, but I like the old style better. It also looks like they dropped some of the neat features on the MP, like the front luggage rack and the triple tree fork. The 1909 looks pretty good with this frame but I still hope they keep some bikes in the line with the older style tank frame. I have always like the angular lines that Felt cruisers had. It really differentiated them from other makes. To me, the deep six frame looks just a little more "ordinary"-- sort of like a Nirve cruiser.

All I know is the winds of change are blowing and I am really glad I finally got the MP I have always wanted. I would never have guessed it would be the last model year for this frame style.

Regards,

I know all the mountain bikers like the 29er wheels, but I prefer the 24x3 fatty wheels.

Ahh. Thanks Tater. I was afraid of that. I didn't see that other post. Sorry for posting the redundant info. :roll:

Crash, you will enjoy that 2012 MP. It is essentially the same as previous years except they stopped painting the rims green to match the frame. The 2012's have black rims like this:
IMG_0305.jpg

Regards,

Yeah, those triple tree forks give it a tougher appearance IMHO. I'm also getting some 26x2.35 Fat Franks put on to fill out those fenders. Should beef it up a bit more. Add to that a pair of 7.62mm ammo cans on the back painted to (closely) match, and you've got a Christmas winner!

I'm not a fan of the new Felt frame style at all, but that's OK because I already have a Felt aluminum cruiser and I don't plan on getting another one.
Also, I find the 'bargain-bin' cantilever frame and the new 29" frame to be hideously ugly. Just my opinion.

I'd personally like an option with less slope on the top tube for taller guys so the seat tube doesn't have to come out so far. But... I know they want to do a "one size fits all" which makes better business sense, however that won't stop me from complaining. ;)

Well, now thise new MP has me and the wife thinking about the rear storage idea. I was going to go with 7.62mm ammo cans, like in the first picture. I think the cool factor is up there, but so is the weight. Now maybe we can just buy these custom made bags from the 2013 and put them on. hmmmm.

This
felt1b.jpg

or this
MP.jpg

The wife is saying "Bags". I may not have a choice. :lol:

The bag they used on the Destination cruiser looks like the one in the 2013 MP rendering.

felt-cruiser-destination-slika-10491274.jpg

MPrearbags.jpg

Good luck buying those bags from Felt even if you own a model that is equipped with them. Felt’s business philosophy doesn’t include supplying service parts. –whole bikes only!

You can do something like RRB member BarnsTO did using Swiss Army bags.

5251878740_8b9cba9e71.jpg

I have been looking into similar options for my 2012 MP. Weight is definitely a factor. This bike is a tank already. I have already piled the weight on with a solid layback seatpost and an 8 speed hub (not yet installed but way heavier than the 3 speed.) It's too bad you cant get those bags from Felt separately they do look pretty neat and I think Tater is correct that looks identical to the bag in the rendering. The first day after I picked mine up from the LBS I went over to the surplus store (LSS?) and picked up a couple bags that work pretty well on this bike. I'll get some pics up soon. I have lots of other plans for the bike too. In fact, today I was discussing with a friend a rifle scabbard that could mount to the front fork. :mrgreen:

I'm trying to use the WWII Harley WLA military motorcycles as inspiration for my mods.

Regards,

Tater said:
Good luck buying those bags from Felt even if you own a model that is equipped with them. Felt’s business philosophy doesn’t include supplying service parts. –whole bikes only!
You wouldn't think that's the case since they sell parts on their website? I'll give it a shot, worst case is I get a set at the LSS. :lol:

two spot said:
...a rifle scabbard that could mount to the front fork.
I've looked at those, but haven't found one that I like at a price I like. The cool ones are well over $100. Got a cheaper source?

I think what Tater was talking about is service parts that don't show up in their online parts store being difficult/impossible to get. The best bet may be to try to have your LBS get parts for you. Who knows, they might have the weight to make the parts request that consumer wouldn't.

As for the scabbard, I haven't looked real hard but I did find this one right at the same price point you mentioned: http://www.collectorsarmoury.com/M1-Leather-Scabbard/productinfo/04-560/

The other problem with that one is that it is for and M-1 and soldiers on motorcycles carried Thompson sub machine guns. I might make one myself or have a buddy who does leather work help me out. My crazy plan is to make a Thompson rubber band gun that would be sheathed in the scabbard. 8)

One more quick pic:
photo_6.jpg

I'll try to get some pics of the military bags I picked up soon.

Regards,

two spot said:
I think what Tater was talking about is service parts that don't show up in their online parts store being difficult/impossible to get. The best bet may be to try to have your LBS get parts for you. Who knows, they might have the weight to make the parts request that consumer wouldn't. ...

That is correct. The only stuff sometimes available are accessories in their web store. If you find a Felt dealer that has enough stroke to get service parts from Felt, let everyone know. I’ve tried dozens of times through many dealers, including their largest US cruiser dealer, and have never had Felt come through on a single request.

Latest posts

Back