Magna Great Devide - recovery and modify.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Well, this bike was part of my "haul" from the police auction. What I have been doing is getting a few operational and try to see if I like them for projects or flip them. Of course, history is unknown, but as bought this bike came with a spiffy rattle can red on one side only. Stolen, inner city camo, anti theft measure, or Target store scrap?
2.50 Magna great devide original.JPG

When new 3 years ago @ Target...
2013 screen grab 99.00 .jpg

BB bearings ground to dust from no grease, headstock bearings ditto, bald tires, front derailier inop, cheesy plastic pedals dragging really bad - one had concrete on and in it - LOL!
Put old tire/tube on back and it was kind of a fun ride. So replaced BB and steerer bearings with used bearings and got rid of too short of a seat post and rock hard seat. Swapped out junk pedals with nice well used Sakae ball bearing ones from LBS junk box @ $5! Then I threw on some Huffy mountain bike wheels (wider!) and red Duro balloon tires. Wanted wider bars with more rise, so the good old 1980s Huffy donated cool purple ones to the cause... Ditched the front der for weight reduction. :crazy:
photo 1.jpg

photo 4.jpg

Although the paint seems to have a funky red glow in these pics, it's really just me trying to get the yucky rattle can paint off - it is kind of a nice dark grey metallic under there. For all it's cheapness, I love it! Very fun to ride.
gonna keep working on the cosmetics. But considering I picked it up for a mere $2.50 I'm pretty darn satisfied.:)

NICE... I'm working on 4 bikes right now that I'm flippin' on CL.
I've learned to collect parts, tires , rims from stripped down donor bikes, and I have a crate full of cleaning polishing waxing buffing products.. cuz rule #1 is never put more into it than you'll ever get out of it....
Hope you're keeping that one HorseFarmer...
:)
franco

3 evenings now I've taken this bike on our 7 mi big block ride. It's fun and I keep making little tweeks to get it better. The BB bearings have had to be snugged up twice cause they started developing play - seems solid now - hope it stays adjusted now, guess the new grease had to move around a little.
I will probably keep it. :happy:

Back