Mag Coaster vs. Mag Freewheel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what the coaster is, and how it brakes, but do the plastic/nylon brake on the rim? I've got an old Schwinn Fastback that I have plans for, and BMX mags would be snazzy. It has cantilever posts on the fork, and none on the seat stays. so, coaster on the back, none on the front, or can i run front brakes?

IMG_0485.jpg

yup you can run regular sidepull caliper brakes on them, thats what they did back in the day. If you get any color besides black you may want to grab some skyway brake pads too (called tuff pads) the same color as the wheel or the brake rub will show up pretty easy.

They also mad brake pads that looked like real shoes from Vans, never used them but the look similar in color.

vans_brake_pads3.jpg

new_Items_Nov_2010_067.jpg

tuff_pads_green27449_blowup.jpg

Kool_Stop_Supra_Brake_Pads_Clear.jpg

There are several mag wheels that would look killer on that frame. Most are gonna be coaster equipped. Lesters, Skyway Tuff Wheels (Tuff I's) & Motomags are gonna be the most common. 70's caliper brakes were awful so coasters were still around through the '70's. There were also "conversion" kits that would let you make a coaster hub into a freewheel. I don't recommend them. I had that on my Tuff II's. Never worked all that well. Personally, I like the look of black Tuff I's with the fat 20" x 2.125" Cheng Shin C-183 Knobbies. Very Moto. Either way, don't forget to make a handlebar, crossbar pad out of pipe insulation and electrical tape! ;)

awesome info danthrift! thanks! but no-can-do on the knobbies and padding. this one's gonna go muscle!

Back