lowering the rear of a bike, for free with no welding.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool idea. I like the look of the brake pads because they have curves and look good on a cantilever frame. I would try an auto repair shop as a source for old brake pads.

Great idea ... as far as the brake pad backing plates go ... you should be able to go to any auto repair shop & ask them to give you a set.
They use to turn them in as cores ... but not any more ... now they just wind up in the scrap pile.

Hope it helps ... eddielives

^^^ that was one of the thoughts that crossed my mind. i remember changing brakes on our old chevy and seeing that warning on the box.

ive still not succesfully found a shot pair, and im hoping to find some with no pad at all, so i can cut the risk of asbestos. so, is there anything we can do to kinda safeguard against that? like soaking them in something, or spraying them with sealer before they get drilled? im open for options because i dont want anyone to get hurt.

A respirator is the best way. Its not the cheap ones you get at home depot for a buck. It needs to be NIOSH certified. Also needs to be a HEPA filter.

^^NO FRIGGIN WAY!! i still havent talked to the guy who has your truck :mrgreen: your building bikes now?

My son gave me a beat up mongoose mountain bike (cheapo kind) and I am stripping it down for reusable parts, like bearings etc. Anyway, as I am looking at it i see that the suspension has these braces to it that would work same as the brake pad idea. I thought of this post as soon as i saw these.

15669vk.jpg

r1zlaq.jpg

Here it is on my mock up/ test 20" bike. I also bent some 26" forks to help lower the front. All stuff that I learned here. Thanks guys!!!

33z7ogg.jpg

xcukie.jpg

Here are some closeups, bare frame though, first test fit

^^that looks sick! i finally got my hands on two pairs of honda pads yesterday. theyre already long gone so now they need some age. hmmmm, now i need a bike :mrgreen:

Thank you. I got the idea from you and ran with what i had available. The rear fender.....well, I always wanted one to have that look and i ended up with it by accident. I have a couple other ideas I want to work into it over the winter months.

so simple yet genius..
all you really need is two chunks of metal and a drill,grinder..
you could cut a notch in the hole you put the axle in to make it look like a dropout..
just an idea..

It seems like you could also cut some horizontal slots into the top axle hole so that you could still be able to adjust the wheel for chain tightening.

I found these at the salvage yard on thursday. I don't know what they were originally, but they look like they'll work great for this. All of the holes are the same distance apart, so as long as you have a hole near the dropout that is close to the same distance as these holes are from each other, it will be fully adjustable. I'm going to cut the ends so that the long slots will be extra-long dropouts. These are thicker than normal dropouts , so they will definitely be strong enough to use for this purpose. They are about 3 1/4"x 4"
SANY0640.jpg

Latest posts

Back