Lowering bicycles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone happen to know the easiest way to lower a bike? I would like to try and build a custom bike, but have no idea of how I am to lower it without having to cut up a frame, which I dont really have the equipment for. Any ideas would be great!!

Someone used automobile disc brake pads. Do a search and see of you can find that thread. Someone else borrowed his idea using metal strips with holes. I hope they chime in here.

and another person found a way to cut the cantilevers on a canti frame and squash the frame down or something like that a few years ago. It was pretty creative and cheap. But I think he had to reweld the canti's in a new spot.

anyone remember that?

Were you talking about this one?

IMG_5342xx.jpg

Outsider13's bike. An oldy but a goody. Still one of my all-time faves on this site.

Also I was thinking about KOTA's famous fork mod too.

Yes, aka_locojoe and I have done it, here is an example:
bender6b.jpg

black arrows cutting the weld [ gently, less damage to frame] Green arrow, push upward till fender mount touchess seat post, red arrows push upward and round, or keep same diameter as stock and cut excess end off. What this does is, the the rear axle goes up and the crank goes down, lowering the frame.
Here is a couple of projects that never got past the picture.
IMG_0036c.jpg

IMG_0023cBcopy.jpg

or you could also go mixte frame
IMG_0014c.jpg

IMG_0140c2B.jpg

great stuff you guys. It's a good thing to show off this work again.

I found these metal plates at the dump. No idea what they are, and I only lowered the bike about 1.5", could have done more. Very easy to do, just bolted on.

chuffsterworkingbits.jpg

I haven't built a bike in a while. I hate posting the same bike pics over and over. But seeing that you only have two posts, you probably haven't seen it. This was the bike that was LUCKY enough to make the cover of RRB 2012 calendar (not this photo).....This is my favorite pic of this bike.
DSC04726.jpg

millerliteracing02 said:
Does anyone happen to know the easiest way to lower a bike? I would like to try and build a custom bike, but have no idea of how I am to lower it without having to cut up a frame, which I dont really have the equipment for. Any ideas would be great!!
look for the roland rat rod build off bike...pretty sure it does not get any easier than that.. no cutting.. I think its 06 buiild off
i liked it so much .. I own the bike..

Henry morgan said:
millerliteracing02 said:
look for the roland rat rod build off bike...pretty sure it does not get any easier than that.. no cutting.. I think its 06 buiild off
i liked it so much .. I own the bike..

I tried to locate pics of the bike you are talking about with no luck. Is it a regular bicycle he did this too? If so and anyone knows info on where I might locate pics on this bike, please let me know and thanks!

On the Board Index page, all the way at the bottom is the Archives. Click that and you'll get a list of build-offs. Find Build-Off 6, I think it's 2nd on the list. Search there for Roland.

I made up a way to get the riding position low without any changes to the frame. Go to my blog, http://www.gravelo.blogspot.com and use the search box for "Overbite" and "Downlow" to see some examples. Also have some picks of the bike in the posts about the High Trestle Trail, if you look around. Give it a try!

Back