Loosing my grip

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm new at the whole "modifying a bike" thing.. I ran into a problem this afternoon.

Working on my Schwinn I want to take the gear shifter, and hand brakes off of it. Well I got everything unbolted, and went to take the grips off, and it seems they are glued on the bars.

Is there anyway to get them off without destroying them totally?? I thought maybe if I could shoot some WD-40 in there and try and get them off that way??

Any suggestions would help...

Hairdryer. Once they get too hot to touch, grab some rags and push them off with your thumbs.

I normally use a really long thin flat head screwdriver to wedge in there some and then I squirt a little WD40 in there and they normally slide right off.

aka_locojoe said:
Somewhere in the How To section there are probably tips on doing this. If you have a hole in the end of the grip an air compressor works great. Put nozzle in one end and thumb over the other. Twist grip as your blowing the air in.
only thing ill say about this is if the bars are old be aware that youll more than likely get a cloud of rust when they 'pop' :lol:

I have tried all of the above and used to swear by the air method, But BankerRat told me to use a 7/8" open end wrench and give it a couple whacks and the grips come off everytime with no damage, that is the only way I do it now with no mess or fuss

KZ1000 said:
I have tried all of the above and used to swear by the air method, But BankerRat told me to use a 7/8" open end wrench and give it a couple whacks and the grips come off everytime with no damage, that is the only way I do it now with no mess or fuss

thats how ive always done it as well. never had a single problem with em coming off using thi method!

Easy E

I thought I invented that method.

2pzfrt0.jpg

The important part is that you're pushing against the open end, not trying to pull it, because that actually makes it tighter. A lot of them that seem very tight will come off with your finger tips, as long as you are pushing the same way as that wrench. :wink: The wrench is a great idea. :idea:

mastronaut said:
Get a tiny screw driver to open up a space enough to spray some Windex or squeeze a bit of dish soap in, then twist off. Done! 8)

this is the way i like. some kind of oil has to be cleaned out before you put them back or they'll keep sliding off. the soap will dry up eventually so if you put them right back on (or spray in more to get them on if they've been off a while) they'll hold in place better and/or sooner.

The ol' skinny screwdriver and Windex is the best approach I've found. Hasn't missed yet even on grips probably in place for 40+ years, and leaves no residue that has to be cleaned off like something oil-based...not to mention, no hammering necessary! :wink:

I use a half-a-spoke with the nippled end in my hand and spray wd-40 in the grip then wipe it out when Im done...

i use the small screwdriver trick but i use brake clean with the small straw nozzle on the can to spray it in and a few twist and they come right off! :D i also use it to put them on when they go on tight. they slide on easy and it dries fast with no residue.

In answer to Sensor... my last one was stored in a barn for a long time. Seems something very small had built a nest inside the bars... I'm still finding bits of that "stuff" in my shop!

ive done all said methods..air, screwdrivers and some type of spray lubricant, wrenches, and heat. the wrench and the air are the easiest. ive struggled with(and even broken) some dried grips with the screwdriver method. :x

Latest posts

Back