Loose Schwinn kickstand help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a '63 Schwinn cruiser and the kickstand will not stay up. Do I have to remove it to fix it and, if so, what do I do to it? Thanks again for your help.

You need to make a tool out of a piece of copper tubing. Using a squeeze clamp, compress the ring where the stand goes into the tube. When it is compressed, you can remove the little pin on the bottom of the tube. Release the clamp and it will come apart. On the end of the stand is pin that holds in the spring. I'll bet that your pin is worn. Replace the pin. Meausure it and make your own or get one from a junk Schwinn frame. Sometimes if you just turn the pin 90° it will work for a while. Gary
pork03.jpg

pork04.jpg

pork02.jpg

pork01.jpg

Well I tried a couple of lock washers and tried with a small nut using a 100 lb vise only to have that little pin mock me. It was really loose but wouldn't come out. Do I need a stronger vise? Is there any way that the pin is mushroomed out? Would really help to see a close up of a pin removed. Thanks for the help.

Got it out! Thr end of the pin was banged up. Guess I will have to file it a little bit. Thanks again for all of the help!

Does anyone sell new kickstands incase my spring or other parts are shot? Got the pin out but the kickstand still doesn't want to come out!

B607, are you talking about this pin? I have tried to turn it to no avail. Does look badly worn as does the notch left in the kickstand from someone riding it forever with it loose. Do you drive it out with a punch? May just order the Nirve one if it fits.
2012-07-28_01-16-37_356.jpg

That's the pin. Drive it out an replace it. Find a nail that's the exact same dia. It doesn't have to be hard steel. It should be soft so it wears in and operates smoothly. The piece that is round with a triangular shaped end may also have a lot of wear. In that case, go to the wanted section of the forum and ask to buy one. It's a super common item. A couple of bucks should get you one. There is only one size as far as I know. Gary

Gary, are you talking about the piece that the kickstand assembly fits into? Isn't it welded to the frame? I don't have any experience in the welding deptartment so I may give the nail idea a try.

There's a jam nut that looks like the piece on the right in the pic below that should be in the portion welded to your bike. This guy has both pieces for $8 free shipping not too bad,. Can't really tell from your pic how badly worn the matching pin on the kickstand is, but don't think I've seen those loose for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Schwinn...308?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3379845734

m91lE2-BTMstmo3_8TI5_dQ.jpg

You can see mine inside the welded portion below, sometimes in an old rusty/greasy kickstand it's not that evident it's a separate piece. Should be able to tap it out.

91ab0571.jpg

Back