Looking for opinions - Front tyre and forks?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a while of painting and scavenging for parts I have finally gotten my Stingray where I want it to be. Here it is:

10153757_684409228332914_3237633200469481969_n.jpg

I have always liked the simple, DIY approach that most childhood bikes and cafe racers have, which is what I went for here. However, despite being a 'style over comfort' kind of guy, the front forks and the 16" wheel make for some serious wobble and my goal of making this a daily rider is impossible with such a dangerous ride.

I've always liked the look of the small tires, but I'm actually thinking something bigger than the rear - like some stock Felt bikes - would look and perform better.

Any opinions on a different wheel size and better, safer forks? Advice would be much appreciated!

It might be unstable because the small tire in front with the 20" springer fork doesn't give you enough rake. I would either match the front wheel to the back, or buy a longer 26" springer if you want to use the 16" wheel. That should increase the rake a little bit, and stabilize the ride.

Another suggestion would be to try ape hanger bars. Those ten speed bars force you to put a lot of your weight on the front, which could make it unstable. Those Chinese Schwinn style springers are not quality forks in the first place, though they are fine if not too much weight is on them.

Thanks for the input on the rakes - I have an old huffy 10- speed with some much longer ones that I may try out. I'm a fan of the drop bars as they are easier to control than apes for me.

No offense intended, but I gotta ask: how tall are you?
About average height - 5' 9". Can you imagine someone over 6 feet tall on that thing?
that set up will make your back, neck , knees & arms hurt after a 1 mile ride
You're telling me.

I've found the perfect forks that are comfortable, properly angled, and rigid, they look good as well.
My only need now is the wheel - the runty mini tyre needs to go. I'm thinking of getting another 20" wheel like the back, but I need a tyre with a thinner profile than the slicks in the back to complete the look. Any recommendations?

About average height - 5' 9". Can you imagine someone over 6 feet tall on that thing?

I'm struggling to imagine someone over 3'6" on that thing! I wanna see some ride pics! :aggressive:

Seriously, when I ride my diamond-frame Scrambler, which has big BMX bars on it and 20x2.125"s front and rear, i feel awkward. I think i'd die from contortions on a bike with a shorter top tube, a 16" front, and freak'n drop bars. :eek: Prolly wouldn't make it 2 blocks.

For a skinny front slick, consider running a 451mm (aka 20x1 3/8") wheel with a Primo Comet 20x1 3/8" or even something like a Tioga Power Block 20x1 1/8", which'd look thoroughly muscle with the white letters. The tires are thinner, but the rim is larger diameter (451 vs 406mm for a regular 20"), so the overall diameter will be very close. Just a thought.

Last edited:
yeah im picturing knees and elbows crashing into each other
More like knees and jawbones. If you try to pedal while sitting, that is. I've never liked the feeling of actually sitting on the seat while in motion, hence the seemingly awkward setup. The seat is even lower now than it is in that picture.
I'm going looking for wheels and trees tomorrow, hopefully I find something right. If I do, I'll post pics of the finished product. Thanks to everyone who suggested ideas.

Latest posts

Back