Looking for advice on frame options

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forum, have some experience building up mountain bikes from frames and components and finding this site has me inspired to build up a board racer style rat rod. Have been lurking here and doing the inevitable internet homework related to components, new and renewed, for this kind of project. I am headed toward a bike that rolls on 24x3 tires like the Thick Brick or Fatti-O, triple tree fork, and internal geared hub (not sure of choice yet). I have stems in the home parts box that will work with 1-1/8" steer tubes and mustache bar that I have laying around, so a head tube that accommodates a 1-1/8" fork steer tube would be nice but isn't essential. The Felt Chief comes closest to the right frame aesthetically, and functionally, but I don't want this to be that much of an off-the-shelf buy and ride gig 'cause I enjoy working on my bikes as much as riding them. I'm interested in any suggestions for a frame that could work for this project. And if anyone has something that might work and wants to sell, I'm potentially interested.

Thanks,

Cliff

Im currently building a Rat Rod out of the raw frame kits that you can buy from Felt directly ($300). Its the same frame that the Chief uses.

Those frames use a 1 1/8 threadless head tube.

Here is a link to my thread so you can see what the frame looks like when they send it to you:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36689&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Thanks! I actually found that thread a few minutes after my post. I also wrote to you on that thread asking what cranks you're planning on using.

C

jonas0tt0 said:
Im currently building a Rat Rod out of the raw frame kits that you can buy from Felt directly ($300). Its the same frame that the Chief uses.

Those frames use a 1 1/8 threadless head tube.

Here is a link to my thread so you can see what the frame looks like when they send it to you:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36689&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

In my experience, cantilever frames are the most versatile they can become just about anything from board tracker, low rider, chopper, cruiser, klunker, beach cruiser, even wall art... :oops:

Best riding bikes that I've ever owned have been old Schwinn cruisers. With a little creative grinding and sanding, you can even fit a 1-1/8" fork in some of them. ;)

Back