Longer back axle to install more wheels?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So... Trikes and trike kits can be a little pricey. So, my brain cranked out a crazy idea. What if you bought a threaded rod the size to go in the axle of a coaster brake wheel, but made it long enough to put two more tires on it? One on each side of the back frame dropouts. Then you'd have three wheels back there... Or look into a trike kit coaster hub in the middle. Any comments would be awesome. I'm probably crazy for thinking it, but...

The stress on the axle would be bad unless they had some support on the outer ends. Unless the weight was mostly on the center wheel.

Threaded rod won't be strong enough.
If you look around, bet there is another way...
I see trikes on Craigslist a little rough for the $50 range.

It would be hard to find a material for the axle that wouldn't bend under load, which is why the trike kits have more axle supports.
Have you considered some heavy duty training wheels for your friends bike instead? Might be easier to fabricate something with a pair of 12 inch bike rims or similar on outriggers.....like some of those motorcycle trike kits... If all you n eed is stability and not load carrying or propulsion from the extra wheels it won't be as hard to build.. but you will need to do some welding.

I can envision a suspension rear with 2 wheels pretty easy, but.....
I also envisioned hours of fabrication, welding, cutting it back apart, rewelding, you get the picture!
Independent rear suspension.....
Disc brakes...
SNOWBALL!

Back