Long drive for a Scrambler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drove 150 miles one way to take the kid to her orthodontist back home and thought Id check CL for a bike or two.Drove an additional 75 miles(and back) to snag this decent old scrambler.
Scrambler001.jpg

Scrambler008.jpg

Not sure if these are original or not,I know most have larger hubs.anyone know??
Scrambler003.jpg

Scrambler004.jpg

One original tire
Scrambler007.jpg

1981 stamp
Scrambler006.jpg

Noticed something familiar while browsing an 81 schwinn catalog,the pic wasnt clear but the wheels appears the same as mine on the Thrasher.
A quick browse at bmxmuseum seems to confirm they are the cheaper thrasher wheels.
33007_767_blowup.jpg

dscn2569_blowup.jpg

1981_37.jpg

Rat Rod said:
Ahhh...okay, Thrasher wheels.
Yup,better than nothing lol.
I had planned to bring it back to original equipment condition but now i am leaning towards era correct bmx parts.When I was a kid no one in my area kept there bikes stock and its this one isnt stock to start with.
You work on alot of these Ratrod,what do you think????Im just diving into bmx lately so Im not sure whats best.

I suppose it all depends on what your goal is.

If you want to build up a bike that you can eventually sell and get your money back out of...this isn't the one.

If you don't care about resale value and just want something to mess around with then it would be a cheap base to start with.

Of course, they can always be parted out to recoup funds so it's not too big of a worry.

What's the top tube length measure on that frame?

Rat Rod said:
I suppose it all depends on what your goal is.

If you want to build up a bike that you can eventually sell and get your money back out of...this isn't the one.

If you don't care about resale value and just want something to mess around with then it would be a cheap base to start with.

Of course, they can always be parted out to recoup funds so it's not too big of a worry.

What's the top tube length measure on that frame?
approx 16 3/4 from seat post tube to head tube.

Im more about keeping it and displaying it in the house than money or any thing.

Is there a cut off year that Scrambler plummet in value?
I paid 50.00 for it -could have got it for 40.00 but the guy and his family were extra polite and nice so I had no issues paying his asking price.
Was 50.00 fair?

This was my first decent bmx bike after my 2nd hand RaceInc ,its what I call era correct-just a mix of the parts I liked and bought.I wont do much with this scrambler other than I have a kashimax aero seat and some dia compe brakes.I wont dump a bunch of money into a mere scrambler.
but I think its worth cleaning up.
1981 check out that fancy smancy carpeting woohoo
032.jpg

mikesbikes36 said:
ahh east oh chambana ,,,,,bout an hour from me ...mohomet by chance ? ...should a came up my way all my stuff is for sale :mrgreen:
Yeah I need to Mike.I was raised in Mahomet but I didnt get their this trip.The family moved from Mahomet to Champaign (12 miles) a while back.

Got it cleaned up,re greased and replaced the sprocket and seat with a Viscount Aero.New decals on the way soon.This will do until I come across an original sprocket and handlebars.Oh- got an original scrambler tire off ebay coming for the back wheel.

I think it looks kinda tough!
scrambler2002.jpg

scrambler2003.jpg

scrambler2004.jpg

scrambler2005.jpg

scrambler2006.jpg

Back