LOJACK FOR BICYCLES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friend of mine had his custom cruiser stolen, $1500.00 bike! It got me to thinking.......LoJack recovery systems. Went on the LoJack site, no products for bicycles. So I contact customer service via e-mail, they get back to me stating " LoJack has no products for bicycles" I e-mail her back telling her that LoJack is missing out on an up-tapped market. They make devices for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, computers........nothing for bicycles, why not? I told her I have a number of one off custom cruisers worth over $1500.00 each. I would gladly put a LoJack device on each of my bikes if they had one. A good challenge for your LoJack engineers would be to design a product for bicycles. If engineers can put a man on the moon, engineering a LoJack device for a bicycle should be a walk in the park. I also stated I would be proud to be the first to have a LoJack installed on each of my bikes! She got back to me & said "I sent your e-mail up the ladder to the powers above. TO ALL MY RRB BROTHERS & SISTERS..........LETS UNITE & SEND LOJACK AN E-MAIL STATING HOW WE ARE BEING OVERLOOKED. PLEASE MAKE A DEVICE FOR BICYCLES! I'm sure there are some of you out there that would buy a LoJack for your bike if they made one. If so, please e-mail LoJack customer service at: [email protected] Let them know you could use a product like LoJack for you're bike.
Thanks!

A.Messina said:
Friend of mine had his custom cruiser stolen, $1500.00 bike! It got me to thinking.......LoJack recovery systems. Went on the LoJack site, no products for bicycles. So I contact customer service via e-mail, they get back to me stating " LoJack has no products for bicycles" I e-mail her back telling her that LoJack is missing out on an up-tapped market. ....

LoJack wouldn't work for bikes. There's usually nowhere to hide a LoJack transmitter (about as big as a pack of cigarettes) on a bicycle.

The only reason it works for cars is because cars are big and complicated enough that you can HIDE the transmitter somewhere on or in the car, and thieves cannot quickly find and remove it.

They do have stickers for bicycles, but it's just a registration service: http://www.lojack.com/Pages/personal-bu ... ssets.aspx

it seems like a good idea, but i just dont think it would work on bikes. bike thieves would find it and rip it out. or just disassamble the bike and sell all the parts they could. its a good thing they dont have lojack for bikes, well for me anyways, i once found a bike that was worth about $600+ in the middle of the freeway.there was no way for anyone to track it down so i kept it! :mrgreen:

I have LoJack for my dog!
Its called a micro chip. You can't track the dog but if it is lost, found and scanned then it will tell you the owners registration info. It never loses power because it is not active unless scanned. The chip is the size of a grain of rice. Why not epoxy one in the bottom bracket of a bike? It would be out of the way and not visible, besides what petty bike theif would take the time to remove the cranks and sprocket to check for a chip? Even if the bike were stolen, repainted, and parts swapped along with any serial numbers or other traditional identifying marks removed it wouldn still be there in the bottom bracket hanging out nonchelantly as if it were just a glob of brazing from the manufacturer. Just my thoughts (If any of you use this then remember to include me on the royalties 8) ).

With some fat frame bikes you could possibly build it inside a frame rail but that would require cutting into the frame and a whole lot of headache. I was thinking with all the nano-technology out there like the little trackers for pets that they inject just under the skin. You could easily put one of those under a grip undetected. A GPS tracking system could be made for bicycles but for the average bike it wouldn't be cost effective. Your market would be in high dollar customs, fixies, and high end mountain bikes. And some of our rats that we idolize.

I still think we could go the ET route and have a remote activated anal probe hidden under the seat. :lol: :lol: :lol: STEAL THAT!

Dont mean to be the party pooper here guys, but loJack would be useless on our bikes and I also think it is useless in certain cars. Let me explain why.

Lo Jack is a vehicle recovery system that can only be detected within a certain distance of a loJack detector, I am unsure of the distance, It is not a satellite system. 2nd thing, the police station around the area where the car was stolen has to have the equipment for lojack as well as their police vehicles in order to detect the stolen vehicle. 3rd thing, lojack is just a small module that is about 4x4x1" which can easily be ripped out of the bike if it is visible.

Our bikes would not stand a chance even with lojack, some vehicles dont either.

If anyone has additional information or would like to correct me if I am wrong please feel free to do so.

i hate to be a debbie downer, but...

1) if you have a bike that you believe is "worth" more than maybe 50 clams would you really let it out of your sight?

2) did "they" really put a man on the moon?.

As I have always said thieves are always on the cutting edge. There is always someone who knows how to defeat the newest lock or device before it even hits the local stores. If someone wants it bad enough they will get it. That is the sad truth of the matter. :cry:

My attempt is to make LoJack aware that there is an interest in a product for bicycles. It's up to them to design something to fit on a bike, power it, & stash it in a place where it can't be easily detected or removed. I know the size of the device in a car. They make a LoJack for computers, that's small. They used the same technology in a different package to fit a computer........why not use the same technology in a different package to fit a bicycle? All I'm asking of my RRB Brothers & Sisters is to e-mail LoJack, let them know there is an interest in a LoJack for bicycles. Let their engineers get past all the hurtles, than offer the product to us.

LowpowerD said:
My bike has a sticker that reads: INSURED BY SMITH & WESSON. I don't need no stinkin' Lojack.
Now that's cool! Too bad I live in New York where gun laws are intense & that type of insurance is very hard to get in this part of the states.

Figured I'd cross-post this, since someone else posted it on my thread after my chopper got stolen.

http://vectortrac.com/gps-bicycle-track ... ation.html

Fits inside the steerer tube, disguised as a regular top cap. Only works on threadless headsets, but you could probably fit it into a custom bike if you wanted to. If I had a bike worth $1500 or more, I'd consider it.

FunkyStickman said:
Figured I'd cross-post this, since someone else posted it on my thread after my chopper got stolen.

http://vectortrac.com/gps-bicycle-track ... ation.html

Fits inside the steerer tube, disguised as a regular top cap. Only works on threadless headsets, but you could probably fit it into a custom bike if you wanted to. If I had a bike worth $1500 or more, I'd consider it.
Great info dude! Thanks for the link!

Back