Log Cabin Finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brake fluid works good too, but I'm not sure if it will eat the original paint too so test an inconspicuous spot first.

if you do oven cleaner make sure you wear gloves. it BURNS after a few minutes on your skin. :shock:. but it works like a charm! i use it to get pinstripes off cars. it doesnt get into the clear coat. just the enamel stripes.

outskirtscustoms said:
Brake fluid works good too, but I'm not sure if it will eat the original paint too so test an inconspicuous spot first.
thesuicideride said:
if you do oven cleaner make sure you wear gloves. it BURNS after a few minutes on your skin. :shock:. but it works like a charm! i use it to get pinstripes off cars. it doesnt get into the clear coat. just the enamel stripes.

Thanks guys! I have oven cleaner and brake fluid both already so I am going to test both. The bike has a lot of the original green paint and the white pinstripping left under the red so I'm going to try and save as much of it as possible. I will post some pics of the results.

core028 said:
I think I'm going to try to get as much of the red paint off the Schwinn and build it rat style!

I don't think I'd bother, unless you're under 5 ft. tall. The Schwinn is a 24" frame. Gary

B607 said:
core028 said:
I think I'm going to try to get as much of the red paint off the Schwinn and build it rat style!

I don't think I'd bother, unless you're under 5 ft. tall. The Schwinn is a 24" frame. Gary

Yeah I thought it might be after I got it next to some of my other bikes last night. :(
So how do you tell just by looking at a frame if it's a 24" or a 26" ?

Great finds !, who is that lucky ; three of the frames are cool boys,then the only girls bike you find ,has a tank on it ! very Cool .

That Schwinn is a lower end model since it doesn't have a welded on kickstand. The girl's bike is an early postwar Huffman too, and you could graft part of that frame in on the other one. That other frame could be a Colson, but I'm thinking it's Cleveland Welding around 1940-1, and with that chainring, it may have been badged as a Hawthorne. And cool beans on the log cabin! I'd love to do something like that! -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
That Schwinn is a lower end model since it doesn't have a welded on kickstand. The girl's bike is an early postwar Huffman too, and you could graft part of that frame in on the other one. That other frame could be a Colson, but I'm thinking it's Cleveland Welding around 1940-1, and with that chainring, it may have been badged as a Hawthorne. And cool beans on the log cabin! I'd love to do something like that! -Adam

Hey Thanks for the info! :D I didnt think about using the girls frame to fix the rusted boys bike. Is there much difference geometry wise in the girls and boys seat and chain stays? They look pretty close.

core028 said:
Hey Thanks for the info! :D I didnt think about using the girls frame to fix the rusted boys bike. Is there much difference geometry wise in the girls and boys seat and chain stays? They look pretty close.

I don't know for sure. If it were me, I'd just line 'em up side by side and see if it's ther same or close enough! 8) -Adam

Another great way to strip non factory paint off the original is Simple Green cleaner. I find a good soaking in a concentrated Simple Green bath does the trick nice. Even shines up the O.G. paint. :wink:

Unchained said:
Another great way to strip non factory paint off the original is Simple Green cleaner. I find a good soaking in a concentrated Simple Green bath does the trick nice. Even shines up the O.G. paint. :wink:

+1 on the Simple Green, non toxic too! I'm honestly kind of freaked out about the whole brake cleaner / ATF concoctions being applied.

Back