Little Neutrino UNDONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've got a seatpost from an exerciser bike, nice and thick. I've bent it into the arc I want, now what about the chrome? I'd like it gone. I don't want to get too aggressive, like with a grinder, but I'm not beyond chemicals... so anyone got any ideas on removing chrome or at least dulling it to a bare steel look? o_O

Thanx, Carl.

cool bike, nice look with the steel and brass!!

Still going thru names / themes, I thought maybe "Brazen Rod"
but after listening to some Klaatu,
I'm leaning towards "Little Neutrino", an Atom Punk build...

Obligatory garage door shot... rims and crank are just place keepers, not staying...

yeah it's tweaked.
Still going thru names / themes, I thought maybe "Brazen Rod"
but after listening to some Klaatu,
I'm leaning towards "Little Neutrino", an Atom Punk build...

Obligatory garage door shot... rims and crank are just place keepers, not staying...

yeah it's tweaked...

Carl.
"....listening to some Klaatu ..."
Your excellent choice of music reflects kindly on your build design.

cool bike, nice look with the steel and brass!!
Took my rear hub apart today, New Departure model D, cleaned and lubed. Took a brass wire wheel to the old raised center rim. Surprise! Cleaned right up and BRASS nipples woohoo... Used a belt sander and followed it up with some emery on my seat post, just what I needed...

Carl.

Well I wish I could get better pics but here's a Little Neutrino preview... I've been talkin' about this finish in a different thread so here it is so far...
Before

After

Can you see the subtlety in the coloring? Minwax Walnut stain over bare metal. 1st coat.
It's gotta be oil based too, I tried a bit of water based I had...nothing, won't stick.
This, I'm liking a lot.

Carl.

Is that the regular MinWax or the Gel based?

Regular old yellow can oil based minwax. It's on the frame too. See? Went on nice, I've sanded the bike down to about 400 grit, smooth but still some tooth, I did not acid etch it. I got impatient and wanted to see it. I figured the tooth would hold the stain and it did. I'll probably add a coat or two also...

Carl.

I think the pattern is planning on doing 2 and then only doing one...o_O I never did much to the ladies CrissCross, and now my tandem project is still hanging in the rafters of my garage. But I have an awesome tank for this bike in my :eek: head... Plexiglass, brass, and copper laminated with vacuum tubes and wiring. Fabbing soon.

Carl. ;)

Regular old yellow can oil based minwax. I've sanded the bike down to about 400 grit, smooth but still some tooth. I figured the tooth would hold the stain and it did. I'll probably add a coat or two also...

Carl.
I refinish furniture for a living, and your technique matches mine when
repairing furniture finish damage...one small coat at a time until you reach
the desired results...how are you going to seal and protect it? Shellac, laquer, polyurethane or acrylic?

I refinish furniture for a living, and your technique matches mine when
repairing furniture finish damage...one small coat at a time until you reach
the desired results...how are you going to seal and protect it? Shellac, laquer, polyurethane or acrylic?

I don't think I'll do anything to it. It's not like it's actually soaking into the metal. It's more like it's on the metal, like any other oil based finish on metal, be it linseed or 10/30. It also has a nice sheen to it in the sunlight. But that first coat was more of a practice run then anything else I still have brazing to do...

Carl.

Yes, I get it that's it's sitting "on" the metal, and not "in" like porous woods. Since those stains are made for wood specifically, and also that these stains never really "harden", my concern is that it will not hold up over time, possibly attract dirt and debris, damage easily and possibly change after you get it to where you want it to look good, therefor my suggestion to seal it in some way.

I gotcha. Well, time is on my side, yes it is... I say let it weather, from a faux patina into a real patina...;)

Carl.

Back