Linseed oil finish?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm curious and haven't seen a definitive answer on the "sheen" of a boiled linseed oil finish. Is is satin, shiney, or wet looking when finished? I'm thinking of applying it to a build of mine.

Carl.

Last edited:
I've done it to pretty much every bike I've cleaned up. Definitely looks glossy, but fades after a while. Protects metal from rusting further.
IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG

This was right after a linseed wipe down.

I'm curious and haven't seen a definitive answer on the "sheen" of a boiled linseed oil finish. Is is satin, shiney, or wet looking when finished? I'm thinking of applying it to a build of mine.

Carl.
Yes i did my colson and its a shiny wet look i like it [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

IMG_8970.jpg

My 1941 Colson Scout with the linseed oil treatment.

4820fb32031fdbb4038747b0e6c88d63.jpg

Boiled Linseed Oil after rubdown with #0000 wool and WD40. As stated previously the sheen will dull as it cures out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what's the procedure exactly?
I start with 0000 grit wool and WD40 rub down just to clean and buff the patina. Then put a thin layer of oil on the paint rub it in with an old rag, if you put on to thick of a layer it will gum up and not dry. So be sparing with the oil.

I start with 0000 grit wool and WD40 rub down just to clean and buff the patina. Then put a thin layer of oil on the paint rub it in with an old rag, if you put on to thick of a layer it will gum up and not dry. So be sparing with the oil.
The rags used with the linseed oil should be stored or disposed of in a covered metal container (safety can) due to potential spontaneous combustion risk.

It's odd that you all say it's shiny, when I used it on setback last year I got more of a matte finish. Then it dulled with more buffing.

It did brighten the paint, but it wasn't shiny. Still isn't.
Maybe I did it wrong.

It's odd that you all say it's shiny, when I used it on setback last year I got more of a matte finish. Then it dulled with more buffing.

Maybe I did it wrong.

I think the actual condition of the existing paint or rust determines the sheen. After buffing off the wet oil, it dried/cured and semigloss transitioned to more of a matte appearance on my Hawthorne.

Maybe I did it wrong.
Same here. I think you can control it (some) by how much you buff off while it's wet. As already mentioned, you can apply it too heavy and it will be gummy and sticky.
tumblr_mthsm1u7mM1rf2fjgo1_500.jpg

Taking this a few steps further...is it possible to do a built-up BLOW finish? Has anyone tried Tung oil? Danish oil? Wipe-on poly?

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

Taking this a few steps further...is it possible to do a built-up BLOW finish? Has anyone tried Tung oil? Danish oil? Wipe-on poly?

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
I can only say, I wouldn't use wipe on poly on a bike. In my experience, it works best on a flat surface. I'd imagine it would spider web on a bike.

LInseed oil is the best match for oil based paints when restoring the finish and for protecting metal. It will be semi-matt when cured and is forgiving. I suggest wetting an old cotton rag and applying heavily.(not sparingly) This ensures you don't miss any spots & it gets deep into any cracks or rust to seal it up tight. You can even wet sand the old paint with it. This drives it deep into the old finish or pores for even better results.
After slopping a final coat on, completely wipe off all oil aggressively with clean cotton rags until not oily to the touch. If you leave any on the surface, it will become sticky. Oxygen will over time cure it harder and less sheeny.
Tung oil is fast-drying because it is linseed oil with a small amount of shellac or lacquer in it. More tricky with less time to work it, and I believe dries semi-gloss to glossy.

Last edited:
I was thinking more along the lines of "real" Tung Oil, which is pressed from a tree nut. It has a longer drying time than BLO (which might be a bad thing), possibly better water resistance, it's tough and flexible, and it darkens/dulls less over time than BLO.

Here's another, possibly stupid question - the BLO finish should work fine on 80's enamel paint, right?

I was thinking more along the lines of "real" Tung Oil, which is pressed from a tree nut. It has a longer drying time than BLO (which might be a bad thing), possibly better water resistance, it's tough and flexible, and it darkens/dulls less over time than BLO.

Here's another, possibly stupid question - the BLO finish should work fine on 80's enamel paint, right?

Don't have exp. with that, but BLO on enamels will work as well. Like KirkPatrick says, you can use it on anything. Great natural product with no solvents..

Ive used danish oil on car stuff, same idea just a different mode of transportation. Works fine, matte finish. I already have a can of it. I prefer johnsons paste wax on patina, the turpentine dries out and leaves a good finish. Never tried linseed oil.
Plenty of options.

Back