Life's a Drag PG2 the further evolution of Belle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dorr really got something started by advertising the bicycle drags planned for the show in Cleveland next month. Since I really hope to be there I decided to build something to race. So I went outside and found the lightest frame I had. This had been tentatively identified in the fresh finds section a year or two ago as a Ross of 48 to 52 vintage. I'm just gonna call it a 48.
1stmockup.jpg

I hauled it around to swap meets but no one wanted the old girls 3 speed lightweight frame so it seemed doomed to finish rotting away until now. Not everything went well as this bike had at least 50 years worth of rust and neglect freezing everything together. The seatpost actually slid right out believe it or not but after twisting the front forks I cut the handlebar stem and decided to replace the forks.
thedamagedun.jpg

The bottom bracket was another mess, it was completely frozen and no amount of oil would break it free. The liquid you see in the pic is the phosphoric acid I used to eat away the corrosion enough to get it apart.
crustymess.jpg

Of course there was no way a 2.125 or bigger tire would fit so the frame required some mods.
Note all of the high tech frame bending equipment :wink:
spreadem.jpg

nutherspread.jpg

bendingback.jpg

Now a 2.2 tire will fit! and yes I plan to replace the braces that were cut out to bend the frame.
clearance2.jpg

Here's a quick mock up just to show what look I'm going for.
mockup22.jpg

Re: Life's a Drag

Funny how things work out sometimes a little while back I picked up an Electra Cruiser at a local flea market with the intention of one day turning it into a super awesome candy coated super shiny kustom sled. Guess what? It has turned out to be the the most picked over parts bike in the pile. Oh well is is late model and stamped made in you know where (not that I care but it does make it easier to justify stripping it). For this project it gave up its rear wheel.
Here is a pic of the coaster brake hub internals (HiStop brand) before I repacked them with grease and put it back together.
explodedhistop.jpg

If you have never tried working on one before you should. It is simple and makes a huge difference in a neglected draggy old wheel.

After all the good reviews this tire got and the fact that I liked the way it looks, got my lbs to order me one for the rear. So I have a Bontrager Hank 2.2 on the rear and 27 x 1 1/4 on the front. Nuttin sez y'all wanna race like a set of big & littles. 8)
fattire1.jpg

Re: Life's a Drag

Life is full of strange twists, after moving to Wilmington N.C. the company I work for sent me to Concord to live in a hotel for a few months, since it is closer I usually go back to my old home in S.C. on the weekends. So finally I just moved all of my tools back to my old shop and got down to some serious work on this bike.
First I cut and fitted some braces to replace the ones I removed to spread the frame out to make room for the rear tire.
nubrace1.jpg

I actually have added an extra brace on top just behind the seat stay to reinforce the frame
nubrace2.jpg

Then I brazed them in,
rawbraze1.jpg

rawbraze2.jpg

Then after a few seconds of intense preparation I sprayed the frame with the finest paint 99 cents can buy.
paintprep.jpg

Here's that ratrod clothesline again along with a handy dead limb from a nearby pine tree.
pinetreeprop.jpg

How many clothes pins does it take to hold up a Schwinn bmx crankset with a huffy sprocket on it?
howmanypins.jpg

I got a lot more done this past weekend but have a freelance cad job to finish so I need to stop now and work on that. Will post more pics in a day or two.
Peace Y'all,

Re: Life's a Drag (return of the ratrod clothesline!)

Way to go! I think this is going to be just to Sweeeeeet! I am super glad the drag bug has bitten you too. Maybe this would be something that catches on everywhere? The bike has a great start and cannot wait to see it finished! See you soon as the show is now less than a month away!

Another interesting factoid in case you did not know. Those ugly stock handle handlebars that ruin the look of a stock Electra are aluminum.
handlebars.jpg

Here I am using a small pair of pliers and an little adjustable wrench to install the front fork. :wink:
titeheadset.jpg

Stay tuned there is more to come.

Cool and entertaining build.

My wife has been very supportive of this build, Probably because I vowed not to buy any new parts except for tires and tubes. She actually hung out in the shop taking a few pics and providing encouraging commentary. :shock: :D Here are a few more assembly pics
pedalson.jpg

hbaradj.jpg

after adjusting the handlebars here I am getting ready to test ride
standingby.jpg

Here's a test ride
pedalingroud.jpg

and a high speed pass
hispeedpass.jpg

But hang on to yer hats ladies and gentlemen, she still aint finished yet.
leaninguplft.jpg

Peace Y'all

motopsyco said:
Oh man Kingfish you got The Nature Boy for an avatar, how can anything top that? 8)

Someone posted a photo of Slick Rick the other day and I had to steal him for my avatar so that I could be Stylin' and Profilin' . 8)
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Those handlebars are looking good.
I had forgotten how entertaining your posts are psyco.
You gotta keep it fun or what's the point.
Also anyone that signs off with "Peace y'all" is family in my book! :p

Smoopy's said:
hey man, glad to see you building a dragster bike up..I'm super stoked about it myself..looks like we will be running against each other in the "old man" class. :lol: ..I better get ready...sweet build

When did you get old enough to be in my class? :shock: Since I am at least 10 years older and 75 pounds heavier you should give me a 2 bike length handicap :wink:
Plus I been living at the Marriott, eating steak on the expense account, and just generally going to pot, so perhaps you should carry a passenger too. :lol:
lightmakesright.jpg

kingfish254 said:
Those handlebars are looking good.
I had forgotten how entertaining your posts are psyco.
You gotta keep it fun or what's the point.
Also anyone that signs off with "Peace y'all" is family in my book! :p
Thanks man! just remember;
Mo funna = Mo betta

Re: Life's a Drag SHE'S FINISHED NOW!

Details, Details, Details....
Quite a diverse list of bikes donated parts so this old girl could live again, there are parts on here from an Electra (rear wheel, chain & handlebars), 2 different Schwinn's (Varsity pedals & a Lavin bmx crank), and old AMF Roadmaster 10 speed (seatpost & steering stem), Huffy front sprocket, and even from my Atlantic Coast tandem (seat). I don't know what the front wheel is from, it came out of a friends barn.
Since I felt a little crowded sitting on it I filled the seatpost with sand and bent it back a little.
After that I just had a ball playing with paint & stickers! :wink:
Hope y'all like it.
frontrite.jpg

fullside.jpg

decalnhead.jpg

Did I mention that this thing is a blast to ride?

Cool 8) That's a girls bike I would ride! :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Cool 8) That's a girls bike I would ride! :wink:

+1

Here is a photo of one of the early mock ups of Fugsley? I bet a Dahon would make a decent platform for a drag bike. :p :lol:

201108171f.jpg

Back