Left Side Sprocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sitting here on my couch looking at one of my Wally-Rays and got to thinkin'. Is it possible to flip the crank/sprocket and rear wheel so that the sprockets are on the left side of the bike?! Only problem I see is the chainguard (which I removed already). I've never seen it done and thought it might be an interesting custom look, but wondered if it was even possible before I bagan tearing things apart.

popular question lately, some bmx bikes have left side drives, would have to be a direct drive or have a left side freewheel and you could do it. havent see any left side chainguards though. i dont know where to find the parts off hand but maybe some of our bmx guys would know where to find the parts.

The kickstand. You would have to remove the kickstand in order to flip the running gear. It was an interesting thought though!

Nope you don't need to remove the kickstand(atleast I didn't have to). The other problems faced are; you can only go backwards unless you convert to a fixie, and then theres the issue of the pedals trying unthread themselves all the time, I think a little loctite would take care of that. Heres another thought, ride it backwards. If you mount the seat backwards and figure out some way of steering you could ride it backwards with rear steering. Take a banana seat mount it backwards and just lay it on the top bar. I wouldn't be very stable(be then not many of us are), but would be fun to try. The steering is the only part I can't get around. Give it a try.

Lefty

Back