LED Cruiser Lights

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had scored a set of these Trail Tech ($$$) motorcycle offroad lights from ebay for $35 with anti-vibration mount etc and found some LED 3W MR16 replacements for the 35W halogen, makes it practical to use for bike lighting, 240 lumens lots of light. LED version is on the left laying on its side, halogen still mounted.

IMG_0676.jpg

Also had a repop tank for my 98 cruiser, but they have a hollow sound so I taped 'em up and shot the inside with some undercoating.

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

Found some 2 1/2" pipe clamps at h-depot that actually had the same keyed slot as the original mount, a quick trip to the vise and a little bending and it's a light mount

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

Had another cheap halogen light fixture to use for the rear light, rear LED only 99 cents

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

Got a rechargeable 12v battery system and some trail tech wiring and found a rocker switch at Radio Shack that fits the fake horn button hole exactly. Lots of light should run about 10+ hurs , front 3W , rear 2W can see both in the daylight, easily exceed Cali requirements

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

Night Shot. This is an order of magnitude better than my other cruiser lights even the ones I converted to 1+ watt LEDs

IMG_0699.jpg

where did you find thoses mr16 led?

Thanks for the comments guys, the battery is pretty big and just laying in the tank, I've got some AA NiMHs with tabs coming gonna make a smaller circular 12v pack with about half the capacity ~5hrs but I'll be able to use the horn screw holes for mounting. I'll take some pics of that side then, pretty ungainly right now. Also be able to use a round pack in a battery tube setup

tartosuc, the mr16 leds seem to be getting all over, I just did a search on Google, then went to ebay and the same place ledwholasalers.com had them started lower in price actually so I got them cheaper on ebay. Shipping was steep for some reason.

Finished the final battery pack that is mountable inside the tank, 12V 2.2Ah made from 10 AA NiMH batteries.

Arranged the batteries around a pen in a pentagon shape with the help of some PVC shrink wrap, then soldered the tabs together

IMG_0719.jpg
IMG_0720.jpg

Taped up the ends with some electrical tape, then a final PVC shrink over the whole thing

IMG_0721.jpg
IMG_0722.jpg

Another layer of regular black shink wrap( more flexible than PVC wrap) so it's not visible in the tank

IMG_0724.jpg

Mounting inside tank with switch and power cords, Weapon of Mass Lighting or Improvised Electrical Device

IMG_0725.jpg

Back