lean steering trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my lean steering trikes. Turn by leaning into the turn.
25u3ae1.jpg

If you don't mind, can you post pictures of the back of it?

Looks fun for goofing around the neighborhood on, but do yourself a favor: don't ever try to go very fast on that thing.

Tilt-steer trikes are fun and can work perfectly fine at low (<15 MPH) speeds on level ground, but most designs you see online do not have positive stability. They are moderate-speed vehicles only. The triple-combination of high speeds, bumpy roads and hard turns should always be avoided.

People (building bicycles) want a simple all-mechanical design that works properly in every situation, and there really isn't one. There's only about two kinds that really work well at higher speed at all, and even they do odd things in some circumstances.

That's why no motorcycle company ever marketed a tilting tricycle until very recently, with the Piaggio MP3--which uses regular front-wheel steering (front wheels turn left/right, like cars' front wheels) and computer/hydraulic control to handle the tilting motion automatically.
~

This trike is fairly stable.Anything going fast and turning sharp has stablity problems I've had it as fast as I could pedal, don't know the speed. The motorized ones I've had going at top speed, I think about 30 to 35 mph and had no problems with stablity. even my gravity powered trikes that I use on ski slopes, stay on the ground good. Most of the trike are very low to the ground and start to drift in sharp turns. Most trikes I wouldn't want to try, this one puts most of the weight on the inside with the outside wheel acting like and outrigger. Check out youtube landsurfingtrike

a note even the vespa is what i would call a "low speed" machine. imagine a 3 wheel hyabusa :shock:

cman said:
DougC said:
Looks fun for goofing around the neighborhood on, but do yourself a favor: don't ever try to go very fast on that thing.

~

Looks fun to me. http://www.youtube.com/user/landsurfing ... VSHO8Lz6Vg
He ain't going that fast.
----------
It does look simple, and I agree that it looks fun--and yet, for some strange reason--no motorcycle company will build and sell these things, either for on-road or off-road use.

All of the simpler lean-steer trike designs have been tried and crashed many times before.
(shrugging)
Learn the hard way if you want.
~

Looks like a lot-o-fun!

DougC....Sometimes "fun" isn't always SAFE!...Stick around, you'll see a lot worse then that.....Ummmm, TALLBIKES!

Latest posts

Back