Last of the Bendix red band coasters?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't answer your question exactly but I can give you a tip. When Bendix moved production to Mexico quality went into the toilet. Stay away from those Bendix "76" hubs, the bearing races are not heat treated right and fail quickly. If you want the best Bendix single red band hub, find an RB2. Made in Elmira, NY, these are the highest quality from my experience. Gary

I remember a Bendix 70 brake arm on a wheel I had, no red stripe. So, I think after 1970, no more red band.

It was 1969. Bendix sent a bulletin to most bike shops that listed an exploded diagram of the new Bendix 70 hub. I believe the 70 was still manufactured in NY?

A quick double check of mine, on a Western Flyer space frame rat, is RB2, brake arm says Bendix and USA; so from your comments I have good one!
The coaster brake is mighty weak, so I guess I will have to dig into it and see whats up. From what Ive read here so far it will be pretty easy for an old motorcycle mechanic to mess with.
I havent found any numbers on the frame yet to narrow down the production year, but I think it is all original (that is, it doesnt seem to be a bitsa).
Thanx for the info!

i have a bendix 19(red stripe) and bendix 70 that was made in mexico.( no red stripe, but it dose have a groove in the middle that looks like it should) and a bendix 96. But i cant really feel a difference within the 19, 70, and 96.

Back