Laid Back Saddles...HOW TO????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What types of seat posts are you guys using or what type of customization are you doing to get the laid back seat look...ex: Where the saddle lies just above the rear tire..
Thanx for the help all and look forward to the advice.
RIDE ON!
Adam
329Cycles

I've made two of them. The first one I made was a prototype to find what dimensions I needed. I took a standard Schwinn steel seat post and turned it upside down. I bought a piece of 5/8" steel rod from the hardware store and put it in the upside down post and welded it in place. The 5/8" rod was almost a perfect fit inside the seat post. I bent it, put on the seat and cut some off the back. This worked fine but it was kinda springy and I didn't really trust it if I were to hit a big bump. I weigh 175 lbs.
Here's the prototype.
DSC04256.jpg

Next, I made the REAL post. I liberated a piece of 13/16" 413 stainless bar from the machine shop where I worked just before I retired. My last "gov't job" there was to turn the end of it to 5/8", Schwinn style.
A welder I know heated it up and bent it for me to match the prototype. This one turned out heavy duty. A 500 lb. gorilla couldn't bend this post. I have since bought a 3' piece of 13/16" stainless bar off of ebay and plan on making a couple more.
Here's the finished stainless post. Gary
DSC04417.jpg

Back