Ladies Schwinn build for my wife

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This summer I picked up a bike for my self a vintage Road Master. I have been biking to work allot this summer and wanted something cooler than the tipical new bike, but not as nice as my other bike restorations. I was after a vintage cruiser bike. My thought was I will buy an unrestored bike fix it up enough to ride it but not give it a sweet new paint job that way if it got bumped or scratched I did not feel bad and I could take it any where and not have to worry about it. So I did that and it was awesome.

So now I had this real sweet every day bike and my wife said she would like one too. So I located one for her. It is an old Schwinn ladies bike. I think pre 1948 possibly a late 1946-1947 but not sure. So the plan is to build up the bike so it works like new than take it all apart and have the frame blasted and then I can paint it. Here are the photos of my build progress:

This is the bike when I got it:

Then I did a mock up with the parts:

New parts:

Frame on the stand:

Mounted handle bars and grips and seat:

Now time for the wheels. The wheels are not the original Schwinn rims but the guy I bought this bike from threw them in. They are vintage 26 inch with a single speed hub/coaster brake. The wheels were quite rusty so they got sand blasted and powder coated. My wife wanted white tires and we chose a flat black for the hoops.

This is what I started with:

Then I cut out the old spokes:

Here ate the hoops and new tires. The hoops have been blasted and powder coated flat black:

So I started lacing the wheel with new spokes and my wife came in to the garage to see what I was doing. She sat down beside me and said let me try and before I Knew it the wheel was assembled. I was pumped she did it her self. She is never in the garage so it made my day! here you can see her working on her wheel:

Here is the wheel with the tire mounted on the rim and trued:

Valve caps:

The bike had no front fender but an extra rear fender was sent along when I bought the bike. I converted the extra rear fender into a front fender. I had to cut down the fender and flare out the rear portion. This picture shows the fender after I was done flaring it out:

This picture shows the tire installed and the front fender after being cut to size but not flared yet:

The rest of the bike is done on the stand:

Ok so here is some out side shots after a test drive. The bike rides great! My wife was happy. The next step is paint. She wants a blue and white theme, that is why we have white tires, seat and grips. So for paint she wants me to put the original Schwinn grpahics on the bike and paint them white again and then the rest dark blue. I have some left over blue from another project that I did. It is a Mitsubishi Lancer color called Electric Blue Pearl that is tweaked a bit. Here is my other project that I used the paint on a 1/18 Supra that I customized and painted so you can see the color that I will be using:

The cool thing about this color is how it is dark blue till the sun hits it and then it pops and becomes brilliant!

some shots of the bike:

My Road Master with my wifes Schwinn:

I kind of like the old ratty looking paint on her bike but it will look sharp when it is painted!

Back