Ladies bike from the...? 70's, 40's..?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I don't really know what to look for when looking at old ladie's bikes. Any specific identifiers that jump out, please let me know.

Let's see if I can put a pic in this here box...

8f41102100000e293d080648a2fb49b8.jpg

It's Murray built. I don't think its earlier than 1960's.

Agreed.

FYI,
Chain ring patterns should identify maker, chainguard styles and pointed rear drop outs are examples of I.D. factors used to I..D. this particular maker and vintage.
Most '30s-'50s bikes will have more rounded features as on tanks, balloon tires(2.125) and fatter fenders, racks etc., metal pan seats, maybe truss rod forks. Much earlier (pre early '50s)bikes may have 1" pitch or skiptooth chains as well.
Though of course rims can also range to 28" throughout all years.
More modern 'middleweight' bikes will have sharper features and narrower rims, tires, fenders, metallic paint etc.
There may also be date stamps on rear hubs to help sometimes.
I hope these few ideas help a bit to start.
Good Luck

I have an Otasco Badged Murray, '68-'69 with an Identical Chain Guard. [Mine says Glitter Bug]

By the looks of the chain wheel, Id say its also the same, placing this probably around late 60/early 70
I assume its older, given your handbrakes. I have a hub brake with sidearm in the back. '70-'74 would be my guess. [any other photos?]

*p.s. great question

I'd say it's a 60's bike. The small brace in between the 2 downtubes weren't on later girl's Murray frames. And it probably had the center pull front brake added, as those wouldn't have come new with a front brake.

I'd say it's a 60's bike. The small brace in between the 2 downtubes weren't on later girl's Murray frames. And it probably had the center pull front brake added, as those wouldn't have come new with a front brake.
right you are.. Hadnt noticed that :p Good call on the brakes.

I'll send up some pics in the am. I appreciate all the feedback. I know it's pretty worthless, but this process is helpful to me.
No Bike is Worthless to those who are curious and appreciate its value. Even if its value is slim, your time and efforts with this make it special. Don't sell yourself short, but don't let them know you dig it. :dance2:

Lol, its mine, I was promised a pickup full of "old 10 speeds". I paid the man, 5 weeks later... "it's like 50 years old, it must have some value" the man says... Price was fine either way. I'll probably strip it, give the bits a sonic shake and call it good. I like that chainguard, and I've got an occ xl that needs a new one.

It might only be a 1960's model, but it's got 100 years worth of "patina" ;) . You could weld a top bar on there and have an awesome low budget rat. The flashlight holder is cool too.

Totally with you ssg. I'm still looking for welding help, but I've been thinking about that drag king tank all day long.. I'm gonna tear it apart dome I'm sure. I've gotta try these bars on my klunker. Too cool, I might ape her up a little like zombies black and green. Chrome is cleaning up great. I'm not gonna touch the frame, maybe some satin or flat clear. My daughter (4) was so appalled that I had this junky thing in the lr, I had to de-tape the seat, which gave me a chuckle. I love duct tape, but you gotta know a lost cause when you see one... for all the wonky lines falling off this thing, the frame looks straight. I'm really starting to like ladies frames. They've always been great value parts doners, but I've got a GT mtb mixte I love, and a line on a super cool huffy mixte, it's got like 47 tiny main tubes.

Latest posts

Back