>>>LACKLUSTER<<< Done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<<

kingfish254 said:
Just cover your bike (and yourself) in bubble wrap and go for it!!!! :p

Copy that!
bubblebunny.jpg

Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<< Slick shopping..

Kojaks are pretty cool. They actually have a little bit of a faint checkerboard design on the sidewall. I have 20" versions on my Dahon Mu. Didn't know they made them in 26". I think the Frightliner had some cool front slicks last year.

I'm surprised that the fork has that much flex, I'm running mine 'flipped'. While I'm not running a front fender, it doesn't seem to move much at all, even coming off of curbs.

Maybe try flipping it before you give up on the Sulkey, that is if you like the look flipped. Lackluster has an AWESOME 'classic' look to it, raking it out may not fit it's vibe.
If you can't find a slick, perhaps a simple brick pattern tire would work. One of the 'Duro' brands in a 26 x 2.125 would definitely be smaller than the Sulkey and with the wide rim you're running it would 'flatten' the profile too.

Good luck in your decision, this bike is AMAZING, as in WOW (but i think I already said that)

Cheers,
Dr. T

>>>LACKLUSTER

Dr. T, I'm not a big fan of the flipped rat trap. However, I did think about it but it would push the tire out and misalign the stubby fender. I'm sure a slightly smaller tire would work out. I think a slick would somewhat match up and "go with" the Sulky rear.

If I had an extra set of rat trap rockers, I would experiment with welding some extensions to them to lengthen the axle mounting areas.

So if anyone has a set they'd part with, PM me!!

Beautiful bike...glad it stayed that way! :mrgreen: Hope you solve your problem :wink:

No worries bro, just throwing ideas out there to get the creative thinking going. :mrgreen:

As I've said before, this bike is simply perfect, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Cheers,
Dr. T

glad you saved it. that bike turned out fantastic. great build.

Nice looking bike! Those Sulky tires look pretty tall, a website that might be useful is Shiggy's mtb tire site, he has the mounted tire measurements including casing height
for hundreds of tires. Though he doesn't have the Kojak, he does have some of the other Schwalbe low tread designs(Super Moto, Big Apple), you might be able to compare some of the Schwalbes to get a better idea.

http://www.mtbtires.com/specs/schwalbe.html

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Beautiful bike...glad it stayed that way! :mrgreen: Hope you solve your problem :wink:
Thanks Schwinnray.. I will, I have a month and a half to solve that issue. Shouldn't be a problem. There may even be one or two other issues to solve. I also have a couple more tricks to add to it for the finished thread.

ezernut9mm said:
glad you saved it. that bike turned out fantastic. great build.
Thank you ezer... I'm glad too!

char said:
Man that colour is just too nice! You have done such a great job on it, it looks awesome!
I want it! :D
Thanks Char, its a 71' Porsche color. Don't see it too often.

socal_jack said:
Nice looking bike! Those Sulky tires look pretty tall, a website that might be useful is Shiggy's mtb tire site, he has the mounted tire measurements including casing height
for hundreds of tires. Though he doesn't have the Kojak, he does have some of the other Schwalbe low tread designs(Super Moto, Big Apple), you might be able to compare some of the Schwalbes to get a better idea.

http://www.mtbtires.com/specs/schwalbe.html
Thanks for the link Jack, I've been checking it out today trying to figure things out.

I'm almost bummed I rushed to get LACKLUSTER done enough to show for Cyclefest.. I mean I'm glad I did and had a great time out there, but there's sooo much time left in the Build Off and I want to keep messing with it. Well, one issue definitely needs addressed. I guess I'll see what else I can come up with..

IMG_4406.jpg

Critter1 said:
I'm almost bummed I rushed to get LACKLUSTER done enough to show for Cyclefest.. I mean I'm glad I did and had a great time out there, but there's sooo much time left in the Build Off and I want to keep messing with it. Well, one issue definitely needs addressed. I guess I'll see what else I can come up with..

IMG_4406.jpg

Your build looks so sweet man! You can still do little things to it over the next few weeks.I think it looks great, only thing to do now is to ride it 8)

Yeah, don't go nuts, feeling like you have to add stuff like flashing cold beer signs and Billy Beer headlights on this one.
That works on something as silly as BEER RUN, or even Fugsley, but Lackluster is just such a classy build.

Fine tune it around what you want.

Your bike looks amazing!! You paint quality is excellent!! Good job on the build!

char said:
Your build looks so sweet man! You can still do little things to it over the next few weeks.I think it looks great, only thing to do now is to ride it.

kingfish254 said:
Yeah, don't go nuts, feeling like you have to add stuff like flashing cold beer signs and Billy Beer headlights on this one.
That works on something as silly as BEER RUN, or even Fugsley, but Lackluster is just such a classy build.

Fine tune it around what you want.

OK guys.. Thats the kind of motivation that'll keep me right where I need to be!! THANKS!!

I decided to go through a couple of parts boxes from the back of the stack to see what would jump out at me... I had forgotten about this one. I picked up this old tail light at a hot rod swap meet a couple years ago because I saw its potential to be a bike tail light. It says YANKEE on the glass lens and the body. I'd guess its 20's or 30's, maybe Model T... It just so happens to go with the feel of the 40's Mopar reverse light/head light that I have on there now. Even though earlier in my thread I said "no tail lights for me". I just couldn't not' use this thing, its too perfect. I'll cut off the bent up mounting bracket and use the polished stainless bracket thats currently holding the "BIKE" reflector. In the same box was the dog collar that has three LEDs ran on a couple watch batteries. I'll try to make it work, then paint it brown. :D

05ac94e8.jpg

270de539.jpg

c4480ae9.jpg

Thanks to member "bpellham" (building Momma's Boy) I'm getting another set of rockers in the mail very soon. Actually getting a whole complete rat-trap springer. Can't have too many right? I wanted to have the extra rockers to work on stress free knowing if I mess it up... they're just spares and its not a big deal. :)

Here is a VERY crude drawing of what I will do to the rockers to gain one inch-ish tire clearance. I'll cut out some steel in the shape I need and weld to the existing rocker, then fine tune it. I'll start with an inch, and if I need less I can easily lengthen the axle slot. I put plenty of work into the rear to gain some clearance, so why would I think it would be any different for the front... :roll: :roll: I'll try this method first so I can keep the Jeralds. I just love the look of the two fat & tall Jeralds!

b42d535a.jpg

Critter1 said:
Thanks to member "bpellham" (building Momma's Boy) I'm getting another set of rockers in the mail very soon. Actually getting a whole complete rat-trap springer. Can't have too many right? I wanted to have the extra rockers to work on stress free knowing if I mess it up... they're just spares and its not a big deal. :)

Here is a VERY crude drawing of what I will do to the rockers to gain one inch-ish tire clearance. I'll cut out some steel in the shape I need and weld to the existing rocker, then fine tune it. I'll start with an inch, and if I need less I can easily lengthen the axle slot. I put plenty of work into the rear to gain some clearance, so why would I think it would be any different for the front... :roll: :roll: I'll try this method first so I can keep the Jeralds. I just love the look of the two fat & tall Jeralds!

b42d535a.jpg

I think a new longer rocker is a good idea. I don't think I would have thought of that.

Haven't done anything picture worthy. Waiting on the big brown truck to bring the next springer. I got the bent bracket off the taillight and bead blasted the housing. Picked up some cheap LED lights to experiment with. They were on clearance. For the taillight, I'm going to try and use one of those single LED headband lights since its so compact. For the headlight I found the flattest/thinest light I could that had the most LEDs (25). Theres not a lot of room inside my headlight and I'd like to keep the batteries inside of it. Now I need to hit up Radio Shack for a couple small switches.

Back