Laced my first wheel!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I successfully laced my first wheel. I've been rebuilding a Schwinn Hollywood for my wife and am finally nearing completion. I had the wheels completely apart to polish all the spokes and rebuild the hub. After watching a few YouTube videos, I gave it a go, had the front wheel laced in about a half hour. I still need to true it, but it's together correctly on the first try. :mrgreen:

Pics to prove it 8)
IMG_3315.jpg

A sneak peak of the Hollywood...
IMG_7361.jpg

Awesome, congrats, I remember when I did my first wheel. It's a great feeling, My first wasn't so easy, tried to put a 28H hub in a 32H rim..... :lol: :oops: Then I realized it and smacked myself in the head and got it right.

you're a better man than i...

i gotta look into these youtube lessons. wheel building is my achilles heel when it comes to bikes.

congrats....i remember my first....i laced the right side of the hub to the left side of the wheel(unknowingly :oops: ) and took it to karfer to have it trued and well.....that didnt work out to well(folded in half...not karfers fault at all. it was my stupid mistake) :lol:
good thing was i learned from that and even learned to true/tension as well.
have fun with it and keep on building them!

Congratulations dude. Wheel building is fun and gets easier.
Truing takes lots of patience. I use a dial indicator and mag base I got at a pawn shop, that way I can use any frame and fork as a truing stand.

sorry everybody im a rookie iv been emailing people my names brandon i just got into the bike thing and i cant stop
iv scored 3 awesome western flyers im think its an 1963 murraay western flyer model cosmic flyer like new i think i found a jewel
beginers luck what bikes are you into
WesternFlyer.jpg
the car in the background is deff not mine i like the bike better found the bike in an ad do you know anything else about it

I just finished relacing the original wheels on my wife's Columbia Built.

7692899.jpg

6165704.jpg

The wheels on it in the above picture are contemporary LBS replacements. The rims were in pretty bad shape when I got the bike, and I wanted to get it on the road in a hurry. I had the original rims powder coated white, and I replaced the spokes with stainless steel. I'm going to get solid black tires for it. The next step will be to powder coat the original fenders, if I deem them worthy. They're awfully rusty, and dented up a bit.

Back