KZ400 Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for a motorcycle project for a while now and I finally found one, a 1977 Kawi KZ400. I picked it up as an unfinished project so it was pretty much in pieces but I have some ideas 8) This is the only picture I have of it right now because my camera is glitching :cry:

kz400.jpg

bicycleguy said:
FIVE50 said:
NICEEEEEE! :)
I love me some kz. What are your plans??

I want to get it somewhat back together and running, then hardtail it and turn it into a cool little bobber. 8)
Nice! :D that'll be a fun lil bob when done. keep us posted dude!

I'm gonna build this when done with my cb650(prob blue tho)
tumblr_lh31nyMI5T1qfjesno1_1280.jpg

thesuicideride said:
nice man! i have a '76 kz440. actually its a '76 frame with '80 440 motor. did you finish up Blue Balls?

Yep I finished blue balls back in august and sold it a while back. Mine is a '77 frame and pretty much everything else with a '78 engine. The only problem I'm having right now is that the '77 stators have 3 yellow wires with a 3 prong plastic clip that connects to the rectifier which would be all fine and dandy but the '78 stators like I have only have 2 yellow wires that each have female ends and the '77 rectifier has that 3 prong plastic clip. I don't know if I can just wire the 2 yellow's to the rectifier and just not use one of the wires coming out of it. I hate electrical issues :cry:

I HAVE SPARK!!!!! :D :D :D
I rewired everything, regapped the points and reset the timing. Now I can finally get to the fun part. 8)

Stripped down
P1000018.jpg

New stance
P1000019.jpg

g-ratter said:
That thing is just itching to be a hardtail bobber. Chop that back end off and add some stretch.
Good idea, time to get to work and stop messing around. :lol: I dug out a cool aluminum tank off a TT500 to see what it would look like, I like it better than the stock tank but the tunnel is too big for the frame, hopefully I can make it work.

P1000020.jpg

Cuttin'
P1000021.jpg

I started to get the frame ready to hardtail and cut off most of the tabs and brackets I won't be using. Hopefully I can get some steel this weekend and have the frame done by Monday.

P1000026.jpg

iRide Custom Bicycles said:
Aw yeeeah Boyeee! That's what I'm talkin about! That TT tanks looks like it's in great shape...polish maybe?? :wink: :wink:

The tank is pretty much mint except for a hardly noticeable dime size ding, I'm not sure if I'm going to use it because I started to make my own tank that's a little more frisco style and I think would fit this project a little better. 8)

I get a feeling this is going to be an awesome bike when it's done. Makes me miss my motorcycle all the more. :cry:

Back