Kristi's MAD MONARK**finished pics! 10-01-10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a free frame from a good friend (Kuttnhack) and decided it was time to make a custom ride for my lovely wife :mrgreen:
thanks to a few of you guys, I now know it's a Monark :lol:
here's the frame....
100_2048.jpg

for the front-end I want to use the wheel/fork/neck/bars/grips from an old blue Schwinn Suburban a neighbor gave me..
100_2049.jpg

problem is.... the fork tube is a wee bit too short.....
100_2050.jpg

with a little hunk of seat post, I think I can stretch it!
100_2062.jpg

I got the fork to fit, and chemical/wire brush stripped the frame down to metal...
grabbed some ceiling wires from the electricians in the building (I think they're 12gage)
100_2064.jpg

since the welder is already out, I had a cool idea for the spaces in the frame.
only gonna need the wire cutters and a pair of needlenose
(and about 2 hours)
100_2063.jpg

DSC_0481-2.jpg

100_2065.jpg

she saw it, and LOVES it so far!
I'm super excited about this build, and I'm off to the swap meet to pick up the rear wheel and fender.
I also have a cool idea for the chain guard!
more progress to come soon!!

Re: Kristi's MAD MONARK****

here's a quick mock-up of the wife's new ride :mrgreen:
haven't decided on a seat yet, but we have bigger fish to fry...
I want to hard-mount the rear fender to the frame and drop-outs, and still be able to slip the rear wheel in there.
the frame will need braesons to hold a pair of v brakes (using a single speed BMX freewheel)
once I get the rear fender to frame situation figured out, I'll get started on the chain guard.
looks like we're going with a spider theme here....... :wink:
100_2072.jpg

Re: Kristi's MAD MONARK****7/26/10

Looking real good 8)
Those webs are tight...
Maybe a red hour glass on a black seat like a black widow spider ????

thanks you guys!
I've been sizing up the v-brakes and I'm worried they won't clear the 3inch rear tire..... :?
gonna try to weld up some cantilever mounts and then have to figure out a good spot for the end of the cable where it comes out to meet that funky little cable triangle......
wish me luck!
once I figure out the brakes, I can move onto the chain guard!
more photos soon!!

looking tight but whut are you doing with that higgins hanging from the roof. I need the skirts $$$$$

Nice job. Can't wait to see more.

got some more work done......
I took the front panel off of a water fountain we had layin' around at work and cut a 3&1/2inch hole in it.
this will end up being the chain guard....
100_2077.jpg

all cut out, and has all the chain clearance and coverage I was hoping for :wink: just need to weld some tabs onto the frame to keep it in place.
100_2078.jpg

got the brakes figured out as well!! I used the posts from a donor pair of mtn bike forks, and a small pulley to run the cable through. that should give her the stopping power she needs. I'll run the cable through the frame too.
100_2080.jpg

did a little more webbing to the rear of the frame also...
100_2079.jpg

chain guard tabs are on, and it looks like everything lines up great!
100_2081.jpg

working on a "one of a kind" head badge :wink: and then it should be ready for paint!
I think I'll have this ready for the wife before summer is over! 8)

Re: Kristi's MAD MONARK****8/17/10

I'm thinking it would be cool to extend those rear webs into full skirt guards

M.Martian said:
I'm thinking it would be cool to extend those rear webs into full skirt guards

i did think of that as well, but the chain guard and the brake set up would interupt the pattern of the webs.
it is a cool idea..... and the frame still isn't painted...... :wink:

needed a cool head-badge, and couldn't think of anything that would fit the theme of this build......
then I realized.......
where's the spider?
all these webs, and no spider?
problem solved :mrgreen:
100_2083.jpg

100_2082.jpg

the bike is just about ready for paint, and this weekend's weather should be perfect! 8)
the lovely Mrs. Vulture has picked her colors, and the next time you see this one it should be finished!
thanks for looking!

Re: Kristi's MAD MONARK****09/02/10

very creative, I like it! Obviously the black widow spider is kind of iconic, as soon as I saw that little scupture I though, now how could you get a little red hourglass insert into the big nut? Fimo maybe?

Latest posts

Back